What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze Protector Cap Query

jaypee

I believe this to be a fuze protector cap (see photo) and would like to find out which fuze it is designed to protect. As it is marked, No.5 Mk1 I had assumed that it was for the British No. 5 Pettman G.S. percussion from the WW1 era, however, having now seen the size and shape of this fuze I think that most unlikely. The mark, S.M. I assume to be a manufacturer's mark, Singer Manufacturing perhaps? The protector cap is conical, 96mm long and 62mm dia. at the base. It is made of a light gauge brass, open at the base and it also has a 14mm dia. hole in the tip, which may not be original. Internally it has the remains of a lining, which looks like brown paper with a thicker white, hard (perished) substance to the lower third of the cone.

It has been suggested to me that the cap may be for a WWII British No.199 time fuze - commonly used with the 3.7" AA shell, however, I have seen several examples of WW1 trench art ashtrays and ink wells made from caps of similar shape and size to mine so I still think it might be from WW1. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Fuze Protector 2.jpg
    Fuze Protector 2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The use of an Arabic "1" dates it as 1944 or later. SM is the monogram of Stoud Metal and Plating Ltd, Stroud, Gloucestershire.

TimG

Many thanks for your reply, TimG. Would I be correct to assume that this cap was used for fuze no.199? If so, what is the significance of the marking, 'No.5 Mk1'?

I understand that the purpose of fuze caps was to protect from the atmosphere to prevent deterioration of the powder. So why would someone punch a hole in the tip? I have seen photos of other caps with holes in the tip, which have been crudely made so clearly not done during manufacture.

I have had it confirmed that a WW1 trench art ashtray was made from a conical cap of exactly the same dimensions as mine, but has no markings. Can anyone tell me which WW1 era fuze had such a cap?

Definitely looks like the no.199 fuze cap, i have a few and one has on the clamping ring 'No.5.I.F.G.H.'.
They all have a small hole at the tip(1-2mm,like a nail punch) that has been soldered over.all in original condition.
I have seen these used for many things,mainly candle holders(upside down in a ring mounting) and small flower vases.I would guess the larger hole in yours would be a later addition.

cheers
Bob