What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze spoon XM228

M

Mikey25

The first hand grenades I ever bought were fakes/repros (rookie mistake).

One of the grenades came with a XM228 fuze spoon. Someone told me they are used on experimental fuzes.. Can anyone confirm?

I have no use for this fuze/spoon and I was wondering if it is worth anything..

Thanks guys!

As far as I am aware, the X on the beginning means it is an experimental/trial version. Therefore, an XM228, once entered officially into service would be M228. The same happens with British L series, eg XL2E2, would later be L2A1. The Es are variations probably due to ironing out mistakes then are changed always to A1 when they enter service officially. Any later emendments become A2, 3 etc.
A good example would be the rifle Colt XM177E2. This would then become a Colt M117A1.
This is my understanding of how it works but feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong. I believe that on some things, the X is quite popular so not sure if it is worth something. I'm sure someone on here would be able to use it to finish something off.

As far as I am aware, the X on the beginning means it is an experimental/trial version. Therefore, an XM228, once entered officially into service would be M228. The same happens with British L series, eg XL2E2, would later be L2A1. The Es are variations probably due to ironing out mistakes then are changed always to A1 when they enter service officially. Any later emendments become A2, 3 etc.
A good example would be the rifle Colt XM177E2. This would then become a Colt M117A1.
This is my understanding of how it works but feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong. I believe that on some things, the X is quite popular so not sure if it is worth something. I'm sure someone on here would be able to use it to finish something off.

Thats a great explination there pointblank0.

I've been trying to work out the markings myself on the American experimental fuzes. They seem also to have used the 'T' has a pre-fix (Test??) as in the fuzes used on the M83 that SG500 posted recently. However doesn't seem to follow that they went on to be the production number for example; the T48 became the M130 fuze
the bomb designation was T11 becoming the M83

Still trying to find out the reasoning behind this!!

regards
Kev

Last edited:
Thats a great explination there pointblank0.

I've been trying to work out the markings myself on the American experimental fuzes. They seem also to have used the 'T' has a pre-fix (Test??) as in the fuzes used on the M83 that SG500 posted recently. However doesn't seem to follow that they went on to be the production number for example; the T48 became the M130 fuze
the bomb designation was T11 becoming the M83

Still trying to find out the reasoning behind this!!

regards
Kev

One of the US guys can give chapter and verse on the US bit but the British experimental nomenclature system was much the same as the American one originally (1950s). We used an XE notation (eg Grenade X5E1) and when maturing to service it got the next 'L' number (Grenade X5E6 became Grenade Hand/Rifle Anti-Personnel L2A1). The Americans used something similar for their T (and E [chemical]) experimental stores and when maturing to service the first model just had the next M number in line. It wasn't until it was upgraded that the A number was added (eg M11 would be the first version and M11A1 the second version).

When we changed to the XL system of experimental stores the experimental store was allocated the next L number preceded with an X and the X was just dropped (and the E part reduced to A1) when the store was introduced in service. With the US XM & M system I think it is still the second version of a store that gets the A1.

Not sure that this is very helpful but I hope it makes some sort of sense.

Here is an (Inert) US XM228 Practice Type Fuze Assembly Manufactured Circa 1970. Note the arrangement of the safety clip, which secures around the neck of the grenade body. This is in contrast to the Later M228 Fuze, were the safety clip secures directly to the fuze assembly.

Attachments

• XM228 013.jpg
    XM228 013.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 32
  • XM228 008.jpg
    XM228 008.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 36
  • XM228 006.jpg
    XM228 006.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 35
  • XM228 017.jpg
    XM228 017.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Always happy to learn about American fuzes. Thanks guys.

Here is an (Inert) US XM228 Practice Type Fuze Assembly Manufactured Circa 1970. Note the arrangement of the safety clip, which secures around the neck of the grenade body. This is in contrast to the Later M228 Fuze, were the safety clip secures directly to the fuze assembly.

I love these "special" collectables. The matching safety clip is missing (of course) so.. Chances are slim that I'll ever find it.

Is the spoon worth anything?

Always happy to learn about American fuzes. Thanks guys.

I love these "special" collectables. The matching safety clip is missing (of course) so.. Chances are slim that I'll ever find it.

Is the spoon worth anything?

Hello Mikey25,

FWIW The XM228 Marked Spoons are not common here in the US, however not really rare or generally sought after so I am not sure of a value? The correct matching fuze body and safety clip seem to be tougher to locate then the levers.

EDIT: I just checked to see if I had a loose fuze or safety clip for you to complete your spoon and unfortunately do not currently have either.

Stay safe,

Frank

Last edited:
Mikey25,

I have a box of of practice spoons. I can look for a specific fuze and/or spoon(s) for you and the others if you'd like? Let me know.

V40

Mikey25,

I have a box of of practice spoons. I can look for a specific fuze and/or spoon(s) for you and the others if you'd like? Let me know.

V40

American practice spoons? Not really looking for one atm.. Modern American stuff is rare here. But thanks for the offer. :)