What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze, Time, No 620

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
In response to a query by 'switch' yesterday here is a photograph of the 620 long delay demolition fuze. It is an Acetone-Celluloid fuze and was available in 12, 24 and 36 hour delays. There are two others in the series (Nos 600 and 610) which resemble artillery fuzes (for stock denial purposes etc).

If anyone has any of these they are not emotionally attached to I would be happy to give them a home.

Attachments

• Fuze No 620.jpg
    Fuze No 620.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 151
Thanks for that N. I had presumed that the body was made of bakerlite or similar. Do you know if the acetone was packed in ampoules like a Limpet AC delay

620 Fuze - more info

It was developed at the beginning of the war as an engineer store and although it functions pretty much as the SOE's AC Delay. The 620 mates with the engineer demolition stores GC primer.

I should say that the SOE fuze was not part of the '600' development work - the SOE version owes more to the Aircraft LD Pistols (No37 etc) than these army stores. But the spring loaded striker held up by a celluloid washer is common to all three (Army, RAF, SOE) strands of development.

Here is a drawing of the L.W.M.Z

Attachments

• deut. Langzzeitznder im 1.Weltkrieg (3).jpg
    deut. Langzzeitznder im 1.Weltkrieg (3).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 60
620 Fuze

Thanks Bonnex for the extra info.

So its like the German WW1 one.

Well yes, sort of. But the German one uses acid to chemically act on a restraining wire until it fails whereas this technique uses the action of acetone softening a celluloid washer until the washer is soft enough for the striker to pull through it. They are both sensitive to temperature and the 'lie' of the fuze. The German use of acid can harm the operator's skin whereas the British acetone just removes nail polish.

Fuzes 600 and 620

Norman
Pictures of the acid delay 620 fuze cut-away and the fuze 600. Norman if you want high res pictures PM me. Sandy

Attachments

• Fuze No 600.jpg
    Fuze No 600.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Fuze No 620.jpg
    Fuze No 620.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 112