What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garden Find Fuse Cap Needs ID'ing

Loosifer

Hi,

I've just found this buried about 4-inches under the veggie-patch in my garden and was wondering if someone might be able to identify it for me. One idea I had was it was an unwanted "gizzit", picked up by the lad who lived in my house (and served in the Army) during WW2, the other was that it was from an anti-aircraft shell (I live in a town which was bombed at the start of the war). I'm presuming that it dates from WW2 as one side of the lower piece (apologies for my lack of technical terms!) has "..Co 4/40" stamped on it and the other side has "CY/5/40 29..", which I guess are the dates of manufacture and filling? Hope the photos are clear enough.

Thanks very much,

Dave

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 58
I can only say it was made in the Chorley ROF in May 1940.
Not sure what the damned thing is though? Im sure the other lads will step in? :)

W

Looks like a No.209 Mk II fuze used with the 4.5 inch anti-aircraft gun.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• 209 001.jpg
    209 001.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 209 002.jpg
    209 002.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 209 004.jpg
    209 004.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 209 003.jpg
    209 003.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 22
AA Fuse

My Uncle has a simular looking fuse that my Dad picked up out the garden after a Raid over Nottingham during ww2.

The anti aircraft guns were positioned around Bestwood park,fires were also lit to fool the German bombers to bomb elsewhere.
If anyone has any pictures or more information on these AA guns at Bestwood would be most interested.

Thanks so much guys. That ties in with the other bit of it which I unearthed this afternoon, which has "No 209 II" stamped on it. I'm surprised it took 70 years to get dug up!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 17