What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garrington Gun Ammunition INformation Wanted

Depotman

Premium Member
Has anyone any technical info on the ammunition for the Garrington Gun? This was an 87mm gun designed in the 1960s as a possible replacement for the 25pdr. There is one at the 'Firepower' Museum in Woolwich Arsenal; moved from Shrivenham. Any info or leads much appreciated.

Garrington Gun

You have probably seen this, but I thought I would post for the benefit of others. Found this on Flickr.

Attachments

• Garrington 88mm Gun X5E1 - 1955.jpg
    Garrington 88mm Gun X5E1 - 1955.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 30
  • 88mm Gun Equipment X5E1.jpg
    88mm Gun Equipment X5E1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Garrington gun

Here what I found on http://nigelef.tripod.com/25pdrsheet.htm

"In the early 1950's prototypes of a new 88-mm long barrelled gun firing 25-pr ammunition were developed, it was planned to develop a new 22 lb high lethality shell to give 17000 yards range. Often called the Garrington gun, it had a novel carriage design, a platform, overhead protection and was about 1 ton heavier than 25-pr. It did not enter service."

Very poor !

Yoda

By "firing 25 Pounder ammunition", do they mean the same projectiles and cases or just the same projectiles with a different case?

Garrington gun

I think, completely personnal advice, that it fired the same projectiles as the 25 Pdr, + new projos.

Yoda

88 mm "G" High Explosive Experimental

By "firing 25 Pounder ammunition", do they mean the same projectiles and cases or just the same projectiles with a different case?

I have a very old picture (not very clear) of what I believe was the specially designed Ammunition for the gun.
See attached

Attachments

• 88 G HE Exp.JPG
    88 G HE Exp.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 23