What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generators Smoke N5/N6 Mk 1

roller63

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me anything about these smoke generators ? I know they are modern and British, but I am not sure if they are Naval items hence the N5/N6 designation. I would have thought that if they were land or multi service, they would have an "L" series number. Both items have been used, making them inert. Any comments welcome, Tony.

Attachments

• MVC-479S.JPG
    MVC-479S.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 34
  • MVC-480S.JPG
    MVC-480S.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 32
I think these smoke generators are for Naval use Ie N deignation and that they are used to simulate fires onboard Royal navy ships .
regards

Thanks for the extra info Steve, pretty much what I had thought but I cannot find any reference to them in my paperwork etc. Tony.

Be wary !

Be very wary of the old "spent" smoke Grenades as they can absorb water from the atmosphere and this reacts with the chemical remnants insideforming a nasty acidic "goo" that eats just about everything it comes into contact with !:tinysmile_cry_t3:

I used to have a few really nice 83 Grenades until I left them in the Conservatory for a few weeks-then all I ended up with was a nasty pile of rust and damaged tiles plus a small burn on my hand where I had touched them !!
They had corroded so much that they were a complete right off !

I have had several things do this to me in the past, when the bodies were made of steel, but since the new smoke generators and some smoke grenades have aluminium bodies and the new non-toxic smoke mixture, they seem to be ok. Tony.

out of touch

Thasnks for the info Tony, I did not know the new were made of Aluminium !
So like a lot of "throwaways" they now have a small scrap value-that will make them fairly rare I guess !

It's a shame there is no Domestic Management Code on it, then one could identify which Service used it.

The Naval DMC for Smoke Stores is "A401".