What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genuine F1 grenade or knock off repro?

perky416

Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased an inert F1 hand grenade. I am used to dealing with things such as deactivated firearms etc however this is my first piece of ordnance to add to my collection. Painted on the bottom is "irv 27/73 T 4/50". My research has led me to believe this is a czech made F1 as it states IRV.

However one thing is troubling me, there are casting marks on the inside and outside of the grenade, its looks almost as though 2 halves have been stuck together. I have attached a couple of pictures to try and show what I mean. It is hard to see on the inside picture however the recess at the bottom follows all the way up both sides lining up with the casting marks on the outside.

I have tried to research how these grenades were made however I haven't come up with much.

Looking at the pictures attached would you more experienced guys say that this is genuine or is it a copy? It has a decent bit of weight to it.

Many Thanks.
Lee

Attachments

• 20160401_173223.jpg
    20160401_173223.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20160401_173208.jpg
    20160401_173208.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160401_172818.jpg
    20160401_172818.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 74
No it looks genuine, these are so cheap to buy there is no point in replicating them. Average price in mint condition including fuse is only around £20 - £25.

Welcome to the forum.

Since 1915 most cast iron grenades are made from a mould in two halves, so you see a join at the side

No 36 Mk2 rev.jpgDSCN0565.JPG

Here on the Mills 36 you can see two grenades with a join at the side. In some cases the line up is not perfect.

Your grenade is most probably genuine. Last year hundreds of these were imported by a company in Devon and sold at events.

John

Your grenade is genuine . As stated in the previous replies , nobody would bother to fake an item with such little value in cash terms & there are thousands of them available . IRV is a Czech factory mark . Nice example though .

I can only agree, its genuine. Here in Hamburg we also have a company, that imports these grenades from the Czech Republic and sells them together with the deactivated fuzes UZRG-M. The printed label on the bottom is typical. By the way: the appearance of the grenades I have seen shows differently. Partially even 'irv' is imprinted in the body, partially not. But they are all from the same company.
The mark 'irv' stands as far as I know for the ZEVETA AMMUNITION a.s. (same mark on my last URG-86 :tinysmile_shy_t:).
Nice item. Best wishes from germany.

I bought this one recently as a WWII issue F1 Russian, what do you think, genuine?? No markings what so ever, has a small brass object inside which looks like a bit of left over fuze body?? (can't get a good pic of that).
Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• DSCN0532.jpg
    DSCN0532.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN0533.jpg
    DSCN0533.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN0534.jpg
    DSCN0534.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 32
This example just sold for $245.00 U.S. on Gun Broker Auctions. Am I missing something about this one? That seems over the top for value. Pat
F-1 pix730197051.jpgF-1 2pix311551464.jpg

I bought this one recently as a WWII issue F1 Russian, what do you think, genuine?? No markings what so ever, has a small brass object inside which looks like a bit of left over fuze body?? (can't get a good pic of that).
Regards Ozzi.

Looks a bit like a throwing practice body.

John

Strewth!

Can you track the bloke down? I can help him out with a few more!

View attachment 119365

John

That's what I call a nice stockpile. :smile:

@ wichitaslumlord: The Czech-version grenades are offered in Hamburg for 25 Euro.

@ ozziammo: I have not seen such a version yet. The exterior looks very much rubbed down. I could imagine that again Millsman is on the right track !

Best wishes from germany!

Thanks for the reply guys, you have put my mind at rest, although now you have me thinking i've been took to the cleaners with the price I paid lol