What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 10,5 cm WW1 round with unknown painting

yes i trust you my friend

I stay on my diagnostic : Schrapnell shell

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

yes realy not easy the measurment says He !! the visible view says shrapnell shell !!

David

Last edited:
Here are all known German WW1 10.5cm Shrapnell shells with Fuzes and measurements..

Attachments

• all 10.5cm shrapnell german ww1.jpg
    all 10.5cm shrapnell german ww1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 46
Yes Ammodillo , i agree with you.

But these shells are the "new" models.

And this one of dave is an old pattern (with its old fuze) , obsolete before the war , i mean.

For this reason, not reported in the differents books that we know.

Perhaps used in the olds "Ringkanonen"

But i do not know all, i can of course make a mistake.

Last edited:
10.5cm shell

Pardon me for my ignorance but are we talkingh about the 10.5cm howitzer (bottom of image) model of 1913 that fired this shell? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 203.jpg
    Picture 203.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 16
Yes Ammodillo , i agree with you.

But these shells are the "new" models.

And this one of dave is an old pattern (with its old fuze) , obsolete before the war , i mean.

Perhaps used in the olds "Ringkanonen"

For what its worth I believe Kz11gr is correct. This is an old pattern shrapnel shell, correct colour, correct fuze.

BD

Maybe i am mistaken too.. i am refering to German and French Clearance (eod)documents.
There are over 20 projectiles and fuzes described for this particular caliber.
I can't see a thread in the ogive which could lead to chemical or shrapnell load.
As said earlier, i have checked all (available) official documents describing German 10.5cm WW1 projectiles and can't find anything else. Maybe hou have better documentation in your archives?

Assuming the fuze IS correct.. i can allways trie to backtrace the projectile in some French fuze descriptions.

I'll try to give a name of this round, but not easy to find informations about the old german ordnance before 1914..

regards

@KZ11... Ok i have found the name H.Schr. 98 (see attachement) however the trail leads to a dead end (no info on the Mle 98 only the Mle 96). :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Attachments

• DAVE- DoppZ 98.jpg
    DAVE- DoppZ 98.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 23
Browsing through some other docs i have found a remark that could explain the whole discussion (see attached scan).

The missing drawing and description of the H.Schr. 98 is incorporated in the description of the H.Schr. 96 projectile.

The later model (98) has a length of 341mm!
The red coloured ring on David's projectile is also described.
In David's picture a metall disc rests on the bottom of the projectile, that should be the 'Treibspiegel' a Muslin disc (correct me if i am using the wrong term).

The missing info is the Drawing and full description.

Attachments

• Dave- remark 10cm Schr.96.jpg
    Dave- remark 10cm Schr.96.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
@KZ11... Ok i have found the name H.Schr. 98 (see attachement) however the trail leads to a dead end (no info on the Mle 98 only the Mle 96). :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Thank you for this information, Ammodillo,
hope we can find a drawing or a picture, but could be difficult.

Thank you to everyone

Thank you to everyone who made a lot of work and help to find out what kind of shell i have here !!

I agree also more and more to think the color and the fuse are right !!!

That means 10,5 cm German shrapnell shell with dopp C 98 Sp Fuze !!

Thank you to all

Regards David