What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 15cm, common?

Subgunfun

I have been putting together a collection over the years, and have recently picked up a few items. I found this at a local store and I doubt the guy knew anything about it. Even I bought it not knowing what it was.
This is a German, 1941 dated 15cm projectile (mfg code "bye" with date code of 1941). Fuse is in OK shape and is mostly intact, but has marks of being in a vise and marred where someone tried unscrewing the bottom (Markings "AZ23 umg 0,15" with a mfg code "bJS" and date code of 1941). Fuse has four of five centrifugal cams inside, the striker and the final centrifugal safety too.
Markings are good and clear but I had to remove some paint to get to them on the body. I doubt the paint is original. Rifling band is unfired but seems to have been painted over as well. Number on base matches that on body. Everything seems to be matching from what I can tell.
I have not been able to find another example like this. Is it unique? Any ideas on value? I have no idea on how this made it here to the US, being that most folks want items a little easier to handle. I'm just looking for a little more info on this item being it is one of my more rare pieces.
If anyone is interested, I can take more detailed, higher resolution photos of fuse/projectile. Just ask.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Here are a couple photos...
100_2484.jpg

100_2485.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

It's German 15cm Gr19 or 15cm Gr19Stg.
Nothing special rare... I think paint is not oryginal.

Regards

Nice find. If you are in Europe, I guess they are common, but here in the States, not so easy to come across. I'll agree that the paint isn't right, but someone more up on German WWII will certainly give you the correct info. Cheers, Bruce.

15 cm Gr 19 + AZ 23 Umg

Nice shell and in a beautiful nice condition. Congratulations.

Here you'll find an idea of the marking of the shell. The exact ground colour I don't known. Don't be afraid of the first drawing, two possibilities of driving bands are possible. One driving band in FES or two driving bands in KPS.
Also a little explication drawing of the AZ 23 Umg.

Sorry, it's all in french.
Thanks to Henry and Michal Belot for the drawings.

Yoda

Attachments

• 15cm gr 19-01.jpg
    15cm gr 19-01.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 15cm gr 19-02.jpg
    15cm gr 19-02.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 83
  • AZ23Umg-01.jpg
    AZ23Umg-01.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 86
  • AZ23Umg-02.jpg
    AZ23Umg-02.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 65
  • AZ23Umg-03.jpg
    AZ23Umg-03.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 65
Just so you know
AZ = aufslag Zunder
Umg = umgeanderd

AZ = percussion fuze

Umg = altered

Most AZ 23 type fuzes look like a regular projectile fuze but these are quite often found in holland.

with regards

Thanks for the great information. Searching on my own yielded marginal results but the information provided here in your responses is excellent! Thank you!

Oh very cool- one reason these aren't common over here is they're DAMNED HEAVY! The Hummel has always been one of my favorite vehicles so at one point I wanted to buy a 15cm shell from a friend of mine in Germany, but found it was over the regular post weight limit and freight was just too complicated LOL But it was a standard heavy artillery caliber, so nothing weird to be sure. Damn, I wish I had a store around here that I could just walk into and find stuff like that.

'bye' was the Hannovershe Maschinenbau AG, vorm. Georg Egestorff (Hanomag), Hannover-Linden, Hamelner Str. 1; I have an 8,8cm Pzgr. 39/1 by that maker myself...

Oh very cool- one reason these aren't common over here is they're DAMNED HEAVY! ..

If you think a 15 cm is heavy, try dragging home a 21cm - Really make you reconsider and think about collecting stamps....

DSCN1923.jpg