What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 15cm s.F.H projectile?

JohnR

Hello everyone, I picked have this shell here and I can not really be sure what it is.
It's completely inert of course, the head (adapter) with the fuse can be removed from the main body.
The fuze is a Dopp Z 92 fuze. As I have red, this was commonly used on 150, 160 and 210 mm guns.
The shell has an overall lenght of 41cm (29cm till where the adapters screws in) and the diameter at the base is 146mm.

I think it is for the 15cm sFH but can anyone confirm or deny that?
I pictured the shell with the well know Britisch 18pndr shell for size.

There are some markings on the body of the shell:

91? WSL-16 and on various places: sP54

regards

John
IMG_6424.jpgIMG_6416.jpg

Last edited:
it's a 15 cm Schrapnell 15 for the long 15 cm Gun (lg. 15 cm K.). The driving band should have 36 grooves.

There were no shrapnells introduced for any of the german 15 cm howitzers - all the german 15 cm shrapnells are for many different guns.

Btw. there was no german 16 cm artillery caliber...

Last edited:
@Andy
It seems that the dimensions on your drawing are not good
With the good dimensions: 349-60 = 289mm

overall length with the fuze : 410 mm

So, I agree with Alpini, it's a german 15 cm Schr. 15

Pascal

Attachments

• Pages de Artillerie allemande - les projectiles - 1917_2_redimensionner.jpg
    Pages de Artillerie allemande - les projectiles - 1917_2_redimensionner.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 32
Yes its a 15cm for sure I don`t disagree. The shell you posted has dimensions much closer, but its not the diagram at fault its my maths.

Andy

I was about to confirm the dimension on the drawing but I'm to late...:tongue:
Thank you for the determination. So this shell was used in various 15cm guns? For example the Krupp 15cm M16 Kanone L/43?
Maybe the 16 on the shell is a reference to this gun? see ==> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cc/cc06.htm

Here are a couple of pages that will help. Are there any numbers on the walls of the shell? I wont make any comment as I am having a bad time with numbers atm :/

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5987/036cm.jpg

As a side note can I thank Snapper who is frantically converting all my links to forum based storage. I`m a self confessed computer dummy and I havn`t yet got my head around how to host my pics here.
I believe the 16 refers to the year of manufacture.

Andy

Attachments

• 036cm.jpg
    036cm.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the clarification, This gun did not use brass cartridge casings? I see on the picture only the powder bags, I ask this because I want to know If i can complete the round (by searching the case)

the gun used bag charges, it's an old gun... I think it will be a difficult task to get the propper bags today :)

Last edited:
Ok thank you, he is way to heavy to place on a shell either way...unless you fill them with sand maybe. I'll just place it on the floor. What would be a estimated value for this piece?

regards

It's also totally wrong to place the projectiles on the cases. Nearly all WW1 15 cm guns & howitzers had sepearate loading charges. Only some naval or coastal artillery 15 cm guns with cartridge ammunition existed (quick firing guns).

it's a 15 cm Schrapnell 15 for the long 15 cm Gun (lg. 15 cm K.). The driving band should have 36 grooves.

If I remember right, this guns was introduced in 1892. If I am right, the Dopp.Z.92 was first used with this gun...

I thought that the gun depicted in the lovettartillery site was the lg. 15 cm Ringkanone but this gun had only 24 grooves.
If the lovettartillery gun is the lg. 15 cm K. (36 grooves), I wonder if somebody can tell me where I can find a photo of the lg. 15 cm Ringkanone

@Alpini: Yes I know, but for certain pieces it just looks great and it takes much less space.

John, I think that it would be interesting to know the number of grooves in the driving band of your shell.
Considering I can see half of them on your photo an I count 16 grooves, the total number of grooves should be 32.
If I'm right, the gun used to fire this shell can't be the lg.15 cm K.

Hello Silent Knight,

I found some pictures of the lg. 15 cm K. and one picture of the 15 cm R.K but no picture of the lg. 15 cm R.K. But both 15 cm R.K. used the 15 cm Schr. 15 m.v.F. (mit vorderem Fhrungsband ~ with forward driving band)

@JohnR: yes, please count the grooves :)
lg15cmK.jpglg15cmK-1.jpg

15 cm C72 Ringkanone.jpg