What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 15cm s.F.H projectile?

I count 36 grooves on the band. So I suppose it is the lg. 15 cm K like Alpini said earlier?

yes it seems to be a "lange 15 cm Kanone". But I am also interested what the lg. 15 cm R.K. looks like. I found not even a trace of such a gun in all the german books but the "notes on german shells" list this gun together with the normal 15 cm R.K (both 24 grooves). So I wonder if it is just a mistake or if this gun really existed. It's a long time between 1872 and 1892 when such a gun could have been introduced.

It is also listed in the french book "Artillerie allemande - les projectiles"

Pages de Artillerie allemande - les projectiles - 1917_2.jpg

But not in the book "le matriel d'artillerie allemand" of the begian G.H.Q.

Pages de Le matériel d'artillerie allemand.jpg

So, perhaps you're right, It can be a mistake.

yes, and I think the "Notes On German Shells" is a translation of the "Artillerie allemande - les projectiles" or it is a joint venture between british and french headquarters which was published in both languages. I'll keep my eyes open about the "lange Ringkanone"...

ahh, I never thought about searching through the naval guns ;-) The official nomenclature seems to be "15 cm R.K. L/26" which also fits to the barrel length of 3,84 m.

I thought I had found the answer with my previous image but apparently things are not so simple. Here is a new drawing which comes to throw the confusion.

Attachments

• lg.15cmK.jpg
    lg.15cmK.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 18