What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 1kg Incendiary tail fin ..... blitz relic

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Just added this one to the collection. Incendiary tail fins are not uncommon, but this one is a little different.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

regards Kev

HPIM9723.jpgHPIM9728.jpgHPIM9725.jpgHPIM9726.jpg

Certainly not seen one burnt out quite like that before - wonder if it burned in a bucket of sand, having been placed there by an ARP warden?

Certainly not seen one burnt out quite like that before - wonder if it burned in a bucket of sand, having been placed there by an ARP warden?

Thanks for your reply,

I had assumed that this one had just burnt itself out harmlessly on open ground, though I guess it is equally possible that it was placed in a bucket of sand.

I havent seen another one quite like it, if you look closely at it you can see how the outer casing has 'melted' around the base of the fins on the underside as it lay. It still has the base screw held in place with the three rivets that hold the tail fin to the body. (though obvious to many, I ought to point out that it is INERT having functioned as intended)

regards Kev

Just added this one to the collection. Incendiary tail fins are not uncommon, but this one is a little different.

I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

regards Kev

Shucks! So it was you who won that one Kev? :tinysmile_cry_t4::tinysmile_twink_t:

Shucks! So it was you who won that one Kev? :tinysmile_cry_t4::tinysmile_twink_t:

......only just though!!!! - sorry !!!

Since my original post I have been informed by the seller that the family were in Croydon during the war and this is probably where it was picked up.

regards Kev

This is usually all that is left of one that burns out on open ground!

View attachment 64948

Appreciate the photo NickW, interesting to see the remains of these burnt out incendiaries.

May well have to keep my eye out for other examples of these.........would love to see any other examples of these that members may have.

kind regards Kev