What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 2cm FLaK projectile colour

earni74

Premium Member
I cannot find this projectile colour in any of my books, in the past i was told it is a German Naval colour, the body is Green and "seems" to have a yellow band under the ogive and on top of the rotating band (2 bands), thanks20220714_112839.jpg20220714_112844.jpg20220714_112814.jpg20220714_112646.jpg20220714_112640.jpg

As far as I know green was also used for practice (I saw 2cm and 3.7cm üb painted green)

The projectile is the "navy" 20x138/B SAP-T which would have been fitted with the IZ43 and tracer/heat relay. These originaly are painted blue with a band corresponding to tracer colour. The blue paint however is very prone to discolouring. Examples coming from peaty soil can show green, yellow and even reddish-brown hues.
Edit:
As Minenaz says, Green was used for practice, an arrow stamped into the body would be a surefire ID.
However, this projo is of the short based SAP-T type without crimping groove for which I have not been able to ID an "üb" yet (neiter in documents, nor in physical evidence).

Last edited: