What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 37mm arrowheads

SG500

Premium Member
Attached are a few photos of various 37mm arrowhead rounds I've picked up over the last few months.

The 2 cases on right have the correct crimps, I think the ones on the left are reworked standard PAK cases, the one having the remains of the original crimping groove from the AP and HE projectile (the arrowhead has the groove lower down the case as shown).

Dave.

024.jpg025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg

Thank you for posting pictures of your 3.7cm Pak Pzgr40 shells.

What is the makeup of the projectile 2nd from the left?
It looks different from the standard projectiles.

The Merkblatt shows the original Pzgr40 cases with a "40" stamped on the headstamp. Some normal Pzgr/Sprgr cases were reused and adjusted for Pzgr40 projectiles.
Have you any pictures of the case headstamps?

PC

Thank you for posting pictures of your 3.7cm Pak Pzgr40 shells.

What is the makeup of the projectile 2nd from the left?
It looks different from the standard projectiles.

The Merkblatt shows the original Pzgr40 cases with a "40" stamped on the headstamp. Some normal Pzgr/Sprgr cases were reused and adjusted for Pzgr40 projectiles.
Have you any pictures of the case headstamps?

PC

Thanks StielGr, that's made my day about the cases being reused. I suppose if I've bothered to check the headstamp I'd have noticed the really clear stencilling Pzgr40:tinysmile_eyebrow_t. Its old original stencilling and the top of the brass case clearly has the original crimping groove from a standard ap or he projectile and then the lower crimping groove for the arrowhead projectile when it was re used, result!! :tinysmile_fatgrin_tThe projectile that is 2nd from the left is the solid steel practice version and is in the brass case with the stencilling as mentioned above.
I've attached photos of the other headstamps, nothing too remarkable there, plus some info on the cases/projectiles.
Anyone know what the thick black line stencilled on the base signifies?
Dave.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg

Excellent pictures Dave and happy to be able to help a small bit.

The black line is an interesting question. It doesn't appear on any of the German manuals but I have a case with the same mark that came from Finland.
Maybe one of our Finnish friends can offer an explanation. Is it a Finnish army marking?

Very interesting to read that you have a practice Pzgr40. I never knew there was such an item.
Does it have any markings?

I have added a few pictures of my Pzgr40 shell.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_4659.jpg
    IMG_4659.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4667.jpg
    IMG_4667.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Copy of 008.jpg
    Copy of 008.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 35
Excellent pictures Dave and happy to be able to help a small bit.

The black line is an interesting question. It doesn't appear on any of the German manuals but I have a case with the same mark that came from Finland.
Maybe one of our Finnish friends can offer an explanation. Is it a Finnish army marking?

Very interesting to read that you have a practice Pzgr40. I never knew there was such an item.
Does it have any markings?

I have added a few pictures of my Pzgr40 shell.

PC

Its got "42 AUX" on it, if you zoom into the second photo I posted you can just make it out.
Attached some info taken from a Russian document (sent to me by Der Uhu, thanks). It has reference to the black line.
Dave.
p251.gif

Last edited:
Standard color code for Germany: the black line = Pz gr 40
Translation page (highlighted in blue):
The need for marking on the bottom slice caused by the fact that when you open the lid liner to bottom cut out.
The value of a distinctive colour on the bottom slice of the cartridge case provided in the description of the shots.
In some cases a distinctive colouring can be applied and the shell casings. The Muffs with hard-core projectile sample 40 the Czechoslovak anti-tank gun, Skoda [3, 7cm PaK (t) 34 and 35 (t)] where the neck of the cartridge case narrow red ring band unlike shots with 37 mm antitank gun of the German (3, 7cm PaK) which bear the black stripe.
p015.gifp255.gif

Last edited:
Hi
here my 3,7cm pzgr 40 round and case.
case have the black line, as explained by Der Uhu.

The other case has a strange crimping groove, it's very light, only 250gr
headstamp:
at 9h = P332 ( I think )
at 6h = i can only read ,7c ( I think it's 3,7cm)
at 3h = nothing
at 12h = the laquer plant, VI 44
thanks in advance
best regards
30 dic 2011_4932rid.jpg30 dic 2011_4935.jpg25 ott 2011_4631rid_.jpg25 ott 2011_4629rid.jpg25 ott 2011_4630rid.jpg3,7cm pak rid_.jpg

Thanks Fert, its nice to see the version with the plastic cap, I'm still looking for one of those.
Dave.

It is very rare occurrence for me to have a Pak projectile that you don't have Dave. At the same time I am sure you will soon find the Bakelite capped 3.7cm Pzgr40 and I will still be looking for a Pak41 squeezebore projectile.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_4828 [1].jpg
    IMG_4828 [1].jpg
    97 KB · Views: 48
  • pzgr40 Ausf.B [2].JPG
    pzgr40 Ausf.B [2].JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 40
It is very rare occurrence for me to have a Pak projectile that you don't have Dave. At the same time I am sure you will soon find the Bakelite capped 3.7cm Pzgr40 and I will still be looking for a Pak41 squeezebore projectile.

PC

NICE, I'll keep looking, fingers crossed:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Thanks for showing them.

As for Pak 41 projectiles, well, they're out there, the tricky thing is finding ones that aren't relic.

Dave.