What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 5cm APCR Help Wanted

FNG61

Wasnt sure whether to list this under "Projectiles" or "Restorations" and there wasnt a category for "Abortions" so maybe "Cutaways" will do. The only way the person who worked on this (it must have been a long time ago judging by the patination) could have done it with any less finesse is if he had used an axe instead of the hacksaw that he obviously used. A note here to any potential cutaway makers; if there are markings.... try and leave them on the finished product! Once he had a slice cut out of the body it appears as if he then tried to drift the core out of it's sheath. Maybe this is when the ballistic cap was lost/destroyed. This resulted in chips and flakes out of the base of the core and it having moved 1/8" forward. Then becoming discouraged he tried to undo what he had done and gave the tip a whack to set the core back into the body which chipped the tip. Thankfully he gave up at this point befor there was only a handful of metal shards left to show for his efforts. The previous scenario is only speculation but this poor projectile has seen some abuse. What i would like to do is try and make this presentable again by adding a partial ballistic cap. I was going to cast this in some sort of resin. Ive been studying the pictures of other 5cm APCR projectiles that have recently been posted at this site and it looks like there is a metal cap/tip on top of the plastic body of the ballistic cap? Anybody got a schematic that would help for a project like this? Thanks very much for your consideration.

One other item of potential interest/concern. I saw an excellent WW2 German 5cm APCR projectile at a show recently. It was waffenamted, the ballistic cap was one piece aluminium, it unscrewed and the core could be removed. I was all set to buy it for the reasonable price but the dealer said he wasnt sure if it was real or not. He had been told that since there was no hole in the base of the sheath (tiny hole beneath the core cavity) that it probably wasnt real. Is anybody aware of reproductions of these projectiles lurking around on the market?

Attachments

• DSCF6637.JPG
    DSCF6637.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 84
oh dear!,im afraid that proj has seen better days.
There is one posted recently by `Cirus` in one of the sections.

best

waff