What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 5cm mortars

waffenamt

Hi Chaps,
here is a couple of mortars and a nice 5cm PaK proj i picked up in a deal this week.
S7002004.jpg

The question is does anyone notice the size difference on the shoulders of these mortars?
Look closely where the fuzes sit.
S7002016.jpg

Is the size difference with the different manufacturers or is one of these a captured french or russian round??

chers

waff
S7002024.jpg

Ive should have said its the body that is different and NOT the fuzes(if thats what you think)I should have worded the description more clearly.
please look closely at the body where the fuze attaches,im convinced that one is slightly wider than the other?
any ideas gents?

waff

Hi Waff,
The markings on the fatter of the two show the manufacturer to be Bergisch-Maerkisches Eisenwerk, Velbert, Rheinland so that one is German. But cant make out the markings on the other one, the only ref i have on these does not give any external measurements. I will keep looking.
Weasel.

sorry to dissapoint you Waff..
the right mortar round is probably (Beutewaffe)Russian.
Without meassurements it is hard to tell
and it is an educated guess but maybe someone
else has more info on this...

One thing is for sure; it has a Parrot on it and should
be of good German/Russian quality ;)

:woohoo:

:laugh: Thanks `dillo,
Is no worries as i will put it up for sale then!.
Looks like my guess was in the right direction then.The parrots are on the left hand round,there is a symbol on the `fatter` one but ive not quite sussed what it is yet.
To sum up then,its a captured russki round re-worked by the german ordnance factory?(gum stamp)?
Thank you boys for the inputs on this.

best

waff

hummmmmm... i just saw i have a gold member :S
i always tried to keep this for myself, now it is
in the open you can visit me at the fair

Sorry Waff i should have said in the post that "gum" is
:Bergisch-Maerkisches Eisenwerk, Velbert, Rheinland. Not sure what the "A" that prefixes that is though.
Weasel

bocn_013.jpg

Its a nice rarer round than a standard 5cm the germans were way ahead of their time in the recycling front heres some piccies of mine to compare to waff i might have some pdf files on those mortars original german ones of captured ordnance will have a look .

Hello,

I sold this German 5cm mortar-round to a collector from France.
Now that he received the item, he has serious doubts about its WWII manufacture,
as the round is stamped gum 51.
gum is the 3 letter code, no problem with that but 51 ?
I personally can't believe that the factory in Germany continued to produce those rounds until the 50s.

Please let me know what you think of this 5cm

Thanks a lot in advance,

CafSchumann

Attachments

• 5cmWGr111.jpg
    5cmWGr111.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 5cmWGr112.jpg
    5cmWGr112.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 5cmWGr113.jpg
    5cmWGr113.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 26
  • close111.jpg
    close111.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 5cmWGr211.jpg
    5cmWGr211.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 27
Hello,

I sold this German 5cm mortar-round to a collector from France.
Now that he received the item, he has serious doubts about its WWII manufacture,
as the round is stamped gum 51.
gum is the 3 letter code, no problem with that but 51 ?
I personally can't believe that the factory in Germany continued to produce those rounds until the 50s.

Please let me know what you think of this 5cm

Thanks a lot in advance,

CafSchumann

This is a WW2 5cm mortar round. The number you refer to is probably a batch number - batch 51. It appears to me to be dated '43

I hope this helps