What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 75mm?

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Ok, I'm trying to do 2 things here:

1. Pin down the nomenclature of the projectile shown.
2. Get accurate diagrams and line drawings so the item can be disassembled.

There are 3 shear pins near the base of the projo just above the rotating band.

Attachments

• Unk1.jpg
    Unk1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Unk1bottom.jpg
    Unk1bottom.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 57
76mm small Minenwerfer projectile

That is the WW1 German 76mm (small) Minenwerfer projectile. I have a nice fuze for this projo and would love to acquire a 76mm Minenwerfer projo. Their regular projectiles were 77mm in this era...Dano

Great.

Any idea on expected payload as the one I show doesn't appear to be HE. It has a break just above the rotating band along with 3 shear pins which are normally indicitative of some type of ejection round.

Last edited:
Lwm

You, lucky boy,
the shell you have is a message shell, used for transmitting pamphlets.
Very, very rare !!!
Wait, I'm looking for drawings or diagrams...

You, lucky boy,
the shell you have is a message shell, used for transmitting pamphlets.
Very, very rare !!!
Wait, I'm looking for drawings or diagrams...

Crikey! I would not like that landing on my bonce in a trench!
Message recieved and understood as its stuck in the hole where your head should be! :p

best

waff

LWM Nora

Sorry, but it's all in french !

Thanks Mr Belot

Yoda

Attachments

• LWM N-01.JPG
    LWM N-01.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 87
LWM Nora

I know, Waff, it's a strange postman but it is so.

On impact, the fuze activate a little ejection charge who eject a pot wich contain the message. The pot contain a little smoke charge to indicate where the message is arrived in the field.

There are two models N and J.
I haven't pics or drawings of J. Sorry

Yoda

Yodamaster, that is exactaly what I am looking for. No worries on the language issue as the drawing is more important for finding a suitable way to disassemble it.

So there is a threaded adapter in the nose allowing for the removal of the carrier so you can insert the message.

That's perfect. Hopefully we can get it benched in the next month or so and see if it's still loaded.

Unfortunately the item is not mine (even though I currently have it) and it will eventualy have to go back to the bomb squad that recovered it.

Drawings

If you need other pics, I have some others.
I you are interested in my book, it's a pdf file of approx 900 Mo.
Send me your pers email with a pm and I shall try to send it to you with nextsend.

Cheers

Yoda

Yes the message round is absolutely the rarest of the lot. Very useful unless bonked in the head. Get the message?? Dano

Is there any chance that this was a dud and the message is still inside it?

That's what we are not sure of at this time and why I needed a line drawing so I could get it broken down to verify.

I'll let everyone know the outcome.

As this was found by a bomb squad, will it be destroyed after opening? It seems a shame as it is in such good condition.

Is there any chance that this was a dud and the message is still inside it?

No such thing as a dud in my book buddy.Ive heard the saying many times over the years but i always assume an item is either Live or Inert.
Dud to me would mean UXB? Mebbe you EOD bods use different terminology?
btw
The messenger shell is real nice,i know a pal who would kill for that! lol

cheers

waff

Last edited:
As this was found by a bomb squad, will it be destroyed after opening? It seems a shame as it is in such good condition.

No. I specifically got it from the bomb squad so they didn't have to destroy it. It is being passed to a military unit who will be doing some inerting training in the upcoming months and can take it apart for me so that I can return it to the squad that recovered it.

Terminology

Hi Waffenamt,
I will help you about terminology of EOD Pers :
UXB : UneXploded Bomb, used only with dropped bombs
For all other unexploded munition, we use the term UXO : UneXploded Object. The term UXO is correctly use with all explosive ordnance not exploded. As well for an artillery shell as for a landmine.

For this problem exists some different possibilities :
- the shell is completely empty, without smoke and ejection charge, but improbable, the ejection charge is part of the fuze (special fuze for this projo).
- the shell is completely full
- the shell was found by a collector and emptied.

The EOD squad shall can say it when they shall open it.

Yoda