What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 77mm shell restoration question

I am currently preparing to start restoration on this World War 1 German 77mm projectile. I have the correct shell casing. Question is beside the Dopp Z96 and Dopp Z96 n/A, were there any other fuzes used on this projectile in WW1? Dano

Attachments

• Picture 641.jpg
    Picture 641.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi Dano,

Do you have the "German Army Handbook 1918"?

The cross-reference fuse tables towards the back are an excellent source for matching fuzes to specific artillery rounds.

If not, I'll have a look tonight for u.

Cheers
Drew

Hi Drew, Thanks for answering. I do not have that book so if you could have a look I would greatly appreciate it. Thanx....Dano

Dear Dano

Dear my friend the major task for you and for others should be to find a inbetween ring because nearly for every different fuze there was a different between ring which will fit between the grenade body and the fuze because of different treads of the fuzes and there are very difficult to get !
i have laying with me some 25 77mm grenades and not even the half of it have the ring mounted on it !!

i am thinking to go for repro ones i have made a drawing of a exisiting ring i will try to reproduce it !!

wbr David

Hi Dano,
There seems to be a number of fuses that would suit a 77mm HE (or is your the Shrapnel type?) - depending on the use:
Dopp Z 96 /96n/A (Shrapnel)
K.Z.11.Gr (HE)
L.K.Z.11 Gr (HE)
L.K.Z 16 mV (HE)
E.K.Z. 16 (HE)
E.K.Z.17 (HE & Gas)
K.Z. 14 (HE & Gas)

I have scanned the page for your reference, but may I suggest that you hunt down a copy of the "German Army Handbook, April 1918" as it is one of the best books for identifying and matching German WW1 artillery ordnance. {ISBN: 0 85368 171 6}. It was originally complied by British Intelligence and provides a comprehensive assessment of the German Army.

You may also need to assess if it is the standard or "long" case HE projectile.

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• 77cmFusesv1.jpg
    77cmFusesv1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 29
Dear my friend the major task for you and for others should be to find a inbetween ring
wbr David

Hi David,

Yes so true indeed, the number of "yet to be completed" rounds with the missing adaptor rings is HUGE!

But then, sometimes you just may get lucky: :bigsmile:

Here is a feamarket find (many many many moons ago!) for a 15pdr fuse complete with the adaptor ring:

......but then the 15 pdr fuse is one of my favourite fuses

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3143.jpg
    DSCN3143.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3144.jpg
    DSCN3144.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 37
you are right

Hi David,

Yes so true indeed, the number of "yet to be completed" rounds with the missing adaptor rings is HUGE!

But then, sometimes you just may get lucky: :bigsmile:

Here is a feamarket find (many many many moons ago!) for a 15pdr fuse complete with the adaptor ring:

......but then the 15 pdr fuse is one of my favourite fuses

Cheers
Drew

yes Dronic you are right it is not impossible but in such huge quantitys i will save my nerves and go with repro ones but defininitly i prefer the original ons too !

wbr David

Thanks Drew and David, appreciate it. The adaptor ring is no problem as I have that figured out. Now I just need to find a suitable fuze, Which I do have a KZ11 that recently came to me from another BOCN member with adaptor ring. With a little help I think it'll fit.......Dano

Last edited: