What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German BD.Z.21cm Gr. 18 Be

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I have a question on how this fuze functions. The document most commonly used here in the U.S. is the old OP manuals. I was wondering if someone had a German document describing how this fuze functions? I would like to see what they have compared to the OP.

Does anyone have something on this?

also here are some cutaway images of the fuze if anyone needs them.

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-SM-218-30.JPG
    ICE-SM-218-30.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ICE-SM-218-6.JPG
    ICE-SM-218-6.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 47
  • ICE-SM-218-12.jpg
    ICE-SM-218-12.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 59
I don't have the manual at hand, but i'll try to tell what i know:

The primer and the striker are prevented from reaching each other by a chain of centrifugal safety blocks. The first one is held in place by a piston. The channel of the instantaneous (OV) train is also blocked by a centrifugal plate that is held by the setting rod. Upon firing the pressure from the propellant pushes the membrane inside lifting the piston. During flight the safety blocks turn outside one-by-one. If set to OV the setting rod lets the plate move outside from the OV channel. Upon impact the primer hits the striker, its flame goes thru both (or only the delay if set to MV) channels and ignites the booster.

I hope it helps.
Vince

Last edited: