What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Bomb ID Help Required

Rockteer

Hello, I have a few question about a German 50KG bomb I have in my collection. Can anyone tell me what the exact type of bomb is known as? Also should the bomb be dark green or duck egg blue?

There is also something missing from the back body which screwed into the casing (a plug I presume?) On the front of the bomb there is also a screw thread which again I presume is for a lifting eye? what do these look like?

Lastly (thank god I hear you saying) what type of tail fin should this bomb have? does anyone have any drawings or photos of the real thing?

Hope someone can set me straight on this one.

Dan

Attachments

• DSCF4609.jpg
    DSCF4609.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF4610.jpg
    DSCF4610.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF4611.jpg
    DSCF4611.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 75
It looks like SC 50 B or K. Nose and tail parts of cast steel, body of pipe, welded together. Can you see any welding seams inside?
Tail fins look just normal SC 50 but there should be a short tubular section that goes over the tapering aft part of body.

Hi thanks for the super fast response! have looked inside the bomb and there are no welding marks only the fuse pocket?

That's brilliant! thank you. Still a little bit fuzzy on what goes on behind the bomb under the tail cone, something must screw in? Also any idea what colour it should be?

Thanks again.

Dan

Still a little bit fuzzy on what goes on behind the bomb under the tail cone, something must screw in? Also any idea what colour it should be? Dan

It's a screw-on lid for closing the bomb after filling. Color of the bomb is German field grey.

Hi Dan,
Im convinced this case is a SD50?

Im sure our `Rrickoshea` has posted an example here in BOCN.
Also,im tempted to say that this is the correct colour?,its also missing a baseplate too?
cheers

waff

#Looks like myself and T-mine posted at the same time!#

Last edited:
I see, starting to make sense now! does anyone have one for sale or are they hard to find?

Also what gauge of steel would the fin be made from? planning on making one but want to get it bang on right.

Thanks again for all the replies this site is brilliant!

Dan

Hello Dan!!!!The ElAZ 25A. was blocked in this type of bomb. The color is RAL- 6006 field-grey. Harry

Im convinced this case is a SD50?

Correct Waff, I took it from a wrong page of my book first :tinysmile_angry_t:
It is SD 50 Stg ( cast steel ).

Here a correct picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 71
Hi Harry, How would I go about matching the paint colour in the modern world? I can imagine my local paint shop telling me where to go! Also what would be the correct fuze for this bomb?

Thanks again fellers!

Hello, I have a few question about a German 50KG bomb I have in my collection. Can anyone tell me what the exact type of bomb is known as? Also should the bomb be dark green or duck egg blue?

There is also something missing from the back body which screwed into the casing (a plug I presume?) On the front of the bomb there is also a screw thread which again I presume is for a lifting eye? what do these look like?

Lastly (thank god I hear you saying) what type of tail fin should this bomb have? does anyone have any drawings or photos of the real thing?

Hope someone can set me straight on this one.

Dan
Hi Dan
For what its worth i beleive you have an SD 50 which was a shorter version of the SC50.
It had a lot thicker casing and was better for breaking through targets
as mine will show you the difference.

Best Phil

Attachments

• German 50 Kilogram Bombs 010.jpg
    German 50 Kilogram Bombs 010.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The Fuze= ElAZ 25B /C or ElAZ 55 /55A Harry Luck hier!!!www.sunshine.de/produkte/technik/farben/ral-farben.html - 132k

They're beauties! Mine matches the one on the top spot on! so did it have a sheet steel tail fin?

Thanks

Dan

I agree with waffenamt that this is a SD 50, the case lenght of a SD 50 is about 590mm that of a SC 50 is about 766mm. The coluer is slightly of but correct.
Greetings Blu.

They're beauties! Mine matches the one on the top spot on! so did it have a sheet steel tail fin?

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan

I actually got mine without the tail fin,but i beleive they were of ally
construction.

I am getting a drawing from the archives at the war museum soon
which gives you all the detail of construction and i think they have a complete 50 on display which i will be going to have a good look at soon.
If you go into a decent car paint and mixed aerosols supplier and ask
for an aerosol filled with Ral 6006 which is grey green and ask for it to be
about 80% matted then you wont be far wrong,as mine are that colour.

Best Phil