What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Fuze? found in Greater London

Ringo

Would be really greatful if someone could ID this for me

[ame="http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Ringo853/German/"]German pictures by Ringo853 - Photobucket[/ame]

the number is 199IIIVAD 5/36 VAD 11/36 41

What is the decaying material at the top? Is it dangerous? is it 1941? Does the guage represent feet and can you tell how many feet it was dropped from? What was the typical bomber that dropped these type of bombs? What is the metal at the very top? What was the lengthof the bomb?

I have found many pieces of shrapnel. Would they be made from brass?

Sorry so many questions but I love war history

199 fuze

As Waff says, it is a British No.199 fuze made by Vickers Armstrong Developments (VAD) in May 1936 (5/36) and filled in November 1936 (11/36). "41" is the Lot number.

It was probably fired by a 3.7" AA gun. The material at the nose is a zinc alloy, and as the fuze has been fired it is no longer dangerous.

The scale on the fuze is essentially one of time and was adjusted by the mechanical fuze setter on the gun from the information provided by the predictor.

Since it is not a German bomb fuze your other questions don't apply. Shrapnel (using the term in its loose sense) from the exploded shell would have been steel.

Regards
TonyE

As requested

001.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Very kind!!! You all certainly know your stuff!!! So it could have been fired at any time between 1940 and 1945 or did German raids stop before then?

fascinating! So re

Gun positions were usually in the vicinity of naval bases where they could use the naval ammunition supply. However, initally the standard fuze was an igniferous design, No 199 with a maximum running time of 30 seonds that limited performance. Subsequently No 209 a mechanical time fuze was introduced.

the guage on this was for the seconds it took to reach the plane? And I presume some of these didn't explode and killed citizens on the ground? Sorry for the naivity of the questions

Not completely just !
The time gauge was for do explode the shell in the vincinity of the planes.
If, forn a reason or another, it didn't explode, it was falling on the ground without explosion.
In a first time, the AA shell were equiped with time fuze only, without a percussion effect. Evolution brough a SD (Self destroying) system who did explode the shell in the air before it was falling on the ground.
It can bring some problems if you receive your own projo on your head !!!