What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Fuze No (5)

waffenamt

It seems that this training fuze seems to have turned out to be another stormer?
I thought it was a solid brass blank for training purposes?
Old fuzeman reckons its a full working fuze restamped for training purposes as you can see the number struck out with the word 'Blind'.
The fuze is a little battered around the sides but should clean up with a little TLC?
Original green paint around the body too? I assume that was a training indication colour?

over to you boys.

W

Attachments

• S7004651.jpg
    S7004651.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 62
  • S7004652.jpg
    S7004652.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 64
  • S7004653.jpg
    S7004653.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 60
  • S7004654.jpg
    S7004654.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 54
Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that this training fuze seems to have turned out to be another stormer?
I thought it was a solid brass blank for training purposes?
Old fuzeyman reckons its a full working fuze restamped for training purposes as you can see the number struck out with the word 'Blind'.
The fuze is a little battered around the sides but should clean up with a little TLC?
Original green paint around the body too? I assume that was a training indication colour?

over to you boys.

W

Another little gemster from day one i beleive,worthy of some gentle tlc ther mate:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Another little gemster from day one i beleive,worthy of some gentle tlc there mate:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Best phil

Aye,i may contract it out to you old friend to sort! :xd:

T'is a strange beasty. Why stamp out the number and put 'blind' if its a perfectly useable fuze??

W

If you didnt know, the word "Blind" mean a fully working specimen that for some reason or another refused to function.. (see UK gov. grenade manual 1937 section "Blinds")
I would say this fuse was fitted to a bomb, and that fuse was removed by bomb disposal, was then stamped "blind" for training purposes within the UK.
The damage on the fuse head looks like impact damage, not sure about edge damage though as this would have been beneath locking ring. (maybe this was done by bomb disposal engineer, we will never know!)
Anyone agree ??

You know,i never thought of that? Good thinking. :) Surely the germans would have stamped 'Vorhang' rather than the english 'blind' ?
I wonder if it was one of those dropped early in the war up in the Scottish Isles or were they type 15's?.

W

Its a nice theiry but doughtful , by 1940 most bomb disposal companies had actual (15) fuzes , why this was stamped blind is anyones guess , my thought is that it was factory fuze that became obsolete and was stamped up for instructional use in their schools. No British unit would stamp Blind on the case , they would stamp Inert or Dummy

Hi Paul the bombs dropped in the orkneys were type (15) , s Normal Material ALI not Brass
Steve

Paul
If im seeing right it looks as though Blind has been stamped in 2 places look at the marking around the (5) and go down does that read Blind ?

Hi Paul the bombs dropped in the orkneys were type (15) , s Normal Material ALI not Brass
Steve

Agreed,just had a quick gander in the books :)

Where on earth would this have come from then? The guy i got it from was from across the Channel.
I can only guess then it was,lets theorize,a captured one from a dump?,or defused as nimsonic reckons then used as a training aid??
Great thread!

MB,where are you on this pal? :)

W

Last edited:
I have seen a AZ23 artillary fuze dated 1944 with "Blind" over German stamp. (the nose of this AZ23 was squashed too meaning it had been fired) This was at Bedford arms fair last November. maybe someone here bought it ?? this also had a green band painted around it, on the threads where it screwed into shell.
Due to British use of the word "Blind" meaning a fully loaded device that has failed to explode/fire/detonate I will stick to my theory.
Ive never seen INERT or DUMMY stamped on foreign ordnance, Besides what about the damage on this fuze? it does look like it may fit into same pattern as the "AZ23 blind" as it also has damage inline with it being fitted to a bomb. It does appear from the damage that the locating pin has been removed, surely if this was a German factory instructional piece it wouldnt have this sort of damage inline with damage from drop use.
The stamp "BLIND" looks british, it doesnt look like any German stamp to me, the Font is british in my mind, besides, there is no suitable meaning for the word "BLIND" in German..
All I could come up with in German-English Dictionary was this...

ADJ.
  1. blind
  2. purblind
  3. unseeing
  4. sightless
  5. pure
  6. sheer
  7. false
  8. unthinking
  9. clouded
  10. tarnished
  11. invisible
  12. unquestioning
  13. unreasoning
any further thoughts ?

Paul
If im seeing right it looks as though Blind has been stamped in 2 places look at the marking around the (5) and go down does that read Blind ?

Yes, Its deffo there.

Still a baffler? The letters do look similar to some found on other ELAZ type fuzes to me?
Note the green painted band as well?

W

A case of us all posting at the same time here chaps!
All i could find on the translator for blind was 'Vorhang'
Surely our german friends would have stamped that or 'Ub' on the fuze?

Ok,lets go with the Britsh writing theory but how on earth has it ended up back across the channel and then here?
Its a well patina'd old bugger so must have been stashed somewhere for a long,long time?.

W

Blind

My two cents worth. I have seen a number of Swiss fuzes, shells and bombs stamped with 'Blind' and had been told in the past that they were for traing purposes. I used to have a German second war proj that was also stamped the same. Do we have a Swiss contingent?

BD

My two cents worth. I have seen a number of Swiss fuzes, shells and bombs stamped with 'Blind' and had been told in the past that they were for traing purposes. I used to have a German second war proj that was also stamped the same. Do we have a Swiss contingent?

BD

Thanks BD for your input. :)

The plot thickens eh!

W

Blind is German for projectiles or bombs etc that are inert filled and used as drill. So the fuze is a inert filled fuze used for drill purpose. See a attachment.

Attachments

• blind.jpg
    blind.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 23
Hi paul
Ive seen training aids marked Dummy before also" Instructional" stamped into the item But never the word blind i have a (89)C fuze marked Blind that came from a German Museum but thats in Ink
This fuze is a fully functional fuze note the wording is similar

Attachments

• Mum and Lavender fields 005.jpg
    Mum and Lavender fields 005.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks fellas for the extra info and pictures. :)
Yes Steve,i see the similarities.

W

Last edited: