What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German fuze ZZs/29

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I am interested for a long time about the german fuze used on 8cm Spgr L/3,8 called ZZS/29 with three rings.

Does anyone have information on this fuze (diagrams, pictures ...) ?

Thank you.

88 - Copie.jpg

have a look in B. Delserts "La Flak". There are no original drawings - but they are better than nothing. An other drawing is in the belgian document "Les fusees allemandes" ;-)

The fuze on the 8 cm is a Zt.Z. S/29 o.A.Z. (without percussion system). The fuze is a variation of the normal Krupp Zt.Z.S/29 which was used for shrapnel shells in caliber 10 cm and larger.

This "three ring" fuze made it possible to use a faster burning powder which resulted in a more accurate burning time. As slower a time train powder burns as more inaccurate the burning time becomes, especially when the projectile reaches high altitudes which is the case for anti aircraft projectiles.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you Alpini but everything is confused for me when I read old documentations about WW1 Flak 8cm and 8.8cm.
8cm L3.8 is described with a ZtZs/29 and 8.8cm L3.6 with ZtZs/24.

So what is exactly the fuze I show in the first post with three rings (the shell is given as a 8cm L/3.8) ?
This fuze is very different from the ZtZs/29 (pictures below).
Regards.

8cmL/3.8:

8cm L3.8.jpg8cm.jpg

ZtzS/29:

ztz29.jpgztz29 2.jpg

the upper fuze is correctly the Zt. Z. S/29 for the 8 cm Flak. The original Krupp Dopp. Z. S/29 looks the same as this one but has the typical Krupp percussion system.

The lower is a Zt. Z. S/29 too, but with two rings for 8,8 cm Flak. I don't know why they did no longer use the S/43 o.A.Z. on 8,8 cm. The manufacturing cost of a Dopp. Z. S/43 o.A.Z. made from spare material compared to a Zt. Z. S/29 o.A.Z. should be the same. My only guess is (again) that the altitude of bursting could be set more precisely with a 29 sec. fuze than with a 43 sec. fuze. This problem was solved with mechanical time fuzes at this time but production capacity was to small to equip all AA-Shells with mechanical fuzes.

PS: I have to correct my upper post: The name of the fuze is just Zt. Z. S/29 and not Zt. Z. S/29 o.A.Z. The word Zeitznder (Zt.Z.) says that no percussion system is present. The prefix o.A.Z (without percussion system) was used on double action fuzes only.

Last edited:
Thank you Alpini,

So the same nomenclature for the two fuzes despite a different design.

In the same time, could you give me informations about a fuze called ZtZs/24 for Flak 8.8 ? Is it a mistake in old documentation ?

Regards

Thank you Alpini,
In the same time, could you give me informations about a fuze called ZtZs/24 for Flak 8.8 ? Is it a mistake in old documentation ?

If we talk about the same document it reads "Zt. Z. S/24 range: 2 - 29 sec." ;-) So it should be a mistake (there are many more too). I have never seen any Krupp fuze with 24 sec in relation to Flak.