What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Fuze

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I am wondering about the German Zt.Z.S/30 Fg ...

The one I am looking at has a small 1 on the corner of the small g. The old U.S. OP talks about the FGL version of this fuze. Is this what they might have seen as a L. Or are there 2 different versions of this fuze?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-431-5.jpg
    ICE-JV-431-5.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 44
  • ICE-JV-431-4.jpg
    ICE-JV-431-4.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 37
  • ICE-JV-431-3.jpg
    ICE-JV-431-3.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 31
  • ICE-JV-431-1.JPG
    ICE-JV-431-1.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 33
Zt. Z. S/30

There are two fuzes which are almost identical except for markings.
Yours has a centrifugally operated mechanism, but the Zt. Z. S/30 has a clockwork mechanism as picture.

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 31
"Fg" is the abbreviation for "Fliehgewicht" which means centrifugal weight. In the german speaking world I have never heard of a Fgl/FGL. But the Fg1 is well known.

So I am assuming the little 1 means: centrifugally operated mechanism? That would make the most sense to me then. As for the L version, the OPs have been wrong before, wouldn't be anything new.

Joe

the 1 means that it is a modified model. The Fg1 had a changed fuze housing

Last edited:
What marking shows the difference between the centrifugally operated mechanism and the clockwork mechanism?

joe

As far as I understant the plain ...S/30 is clockwork and ...S/30Fg is centrifugal.

Correct,
with ZtZ S/XX fuzes the ones without Fg are the Krupp-Thiel mech time fuzes (ZtZ S/30, ZtZ S/30[SUP]1[/SUP], ZtZ S/30[SUP]2[/SUP], ZtZ S/5, ZtZ S/45...)
They have a prewind spring and cocked striker.

If there is a Fg the fuze has Junghans centrifugal mechanism.

To make it little more complicated look at Dopp. Z. S/60 designations :)

There was also a MGL german fuze :))

Bob

Last edited:
From TM 9-1985-3 Page 597

Just to show I am not crazy ... although maybe they were when they wrote the manual.

Joe

Attachments

• FGL.jpg
    FGL.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 18
  • FGL2.jpg
    FGL2.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 29
One more question ... On this fuze there is a CCV. What does that mean? In the same spot I have a picture of the same fuze that has a kzn.

Joe

The 3 small letters are the factory codes of the manufactureres. ccv I did not find, may be somebody else can. kzn is "Kienzle Uhrenfabrik GmbH, Dammerkirch plant".
One more question ... On this fuze there is a CCV. What does that mean? In the same spot I have a picture of the same fuze that has a kzn.

Joe

Your mechanism has various wheels and parts like a clock, but clocks as we know them do not have centrifugal forces which can drive an operating weight towards the outer edge of the fuze. Traditionally, cheaply made clockwork mechanisms require a spring.

Just to show I am not crazy ... although maybe they were when they wrote the manual.

Joe

ccv is Rodi & Wienenberger A.-G., Doublé-Ketten, Pforzheim

I would guess that handling objects that are designed to kill people needs a little crazyness :)

The markings on fuzes change slightly from factory to factory and also in one factory in different years.
If the marking on the fuze was hard to read a mistake was there and lived until now :)

Bob

isn't that the manufacturer code?
ccv can be found on the document below..

http://claus.espeholt.dk/mediearkiv/waae.pdf

KZN: Kienzle Uhrenfabrik GmbH, Dammerkirch plant

my own edit: next time I'll need to scroll down to page two to see that all questions were answered already.
my apologies.

Last edited: