What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Great War Fuzes

Snap of what would be my favorite WWI German shell fuzes in my collection. Not necessarily the best but definitely favorite....Dano

Brass HZ14
Dopp Z96 n/A
Dopp Z96
Dopp Zc91
Dopp Z92
Dopp Z92 rounded top
GRZ92
Med/Heavy Minenwerfer

Attachments

• DSC00250.jpg
    DSC00250.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00251.jpg
    DSC00251.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00252.jpg
    DSC00252.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00253.jpg
    DSC00253.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Yes Jan, that is the same fuze and it shall never leave my collection. It is awesome to me knowing where a piece was found especially Morte Homme. Really like having the pic of it in the wild. Thay picture will be with me through time also. Although fuzes run a close second I like them almost as much as grenades. Awesome that you brought that up Jan, I do have info recorded somewhere but thinking of it brought a smile to my face. It has a good shine too. Jan I still have F1's and Citron Foug you found at Verdun also..........Dano

Attachments

• DSC00303.jpg
    DSC00303.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Dano
I am with you on the Dopp Z 96, being one of my favourites too.
Richard
The rarity of the Dopp Z96 is way up there owing to ts alloy construction. Years in the ground did not bode well for the 96...Dano

*****Also would love to see other collectors photos of their German Fuzes******

Last edited:
The rarity of the Dopp Z96 is way up there owing to ts alloy construction. Years in the ground did not bode well for the 96...Dano

*****Also would love to see other collectors photos of their German Fuzes******

Hi Dano,
Have recently taken my fuzes out of storage after about 3 years so here are a few pics. Will post more soon.
Richard
IMG_2575.jpgIMG_2576.jpgIMG_2577.jpgIMG_2578.jpgIMG_2581.jpg
Pic 1 L-R Dopp Z 96n/A, 2xDopp Z 96's
Pic 2 3x Dopp Z 91's
Pic 3 3x Dopp Z 98's
Pic 4 2x Dopp Z S/43's, Dopp Z 56
pic 5 KZ 11, KZ11 Gr sectioned, KZ 11 Gr

Last edited:
Dano, nice to know these items are still in your collection. Received a bunch of mainly WW1 German fuzes from a friends the other
day which I need to sort out. All these have been retrieved in the Verdun area over the years and because he stopped collecting
he dumped them on my doorstep. Will let you know once sorted as I am sure there might be a couple of fuzes in this bunch you would
like to have.

Regards, Jan
http://www.westernfront.nl

Hi Dano,
Have recently taken my fuzes out of storage after about 3 years so here are a few pics. Will post more soon.
Richard
View attachment 93332View attachment 93333View attachment 93334View attachment 93335View attachment 93336
Pic 1 L-R Dopp Z 96n/A, 2xDopp Z 96's
Pic 2 3x Dopp Z 91's
Pic 3 3x Dopp Z 98's
Pic 4 2x Dopp Z S/43's, Dopp Z 56
pic 5 KZ 11, KZ11 Gr sectioned, KZ 11 Gr
I totally agree with Jan. Richard those are all fine example fuzes, but the 96's are above and beyond. Just do not find them in such great condition..Dano

Last edited:
Dano, nice to know these items are still in your collection. Received a bunch of mainly WW1 German fuzes from a friends the other
day which I need to sort out. All these have been retrieved in the Verdun area over the years and because he stopped collecting
he dumped them on my doorstep. Will let you know once sorted as I am sure there might be a couple of fuzes in this bunch you would
like to have.

Regards, Jan
Great Jan, cannot wait until they are sorted out. Sound awesome with the fact of knowing where they were found. Hope to talk soon....Dano

Hey Guys, Figured I better throw this one out there. It came to me some years ago and was found at a battlefield of The Somme. Dopp Z92 relic still attached to nose cone of shell. It is one heavy hombre

Attachments

• DSC00313.jpg
    DSC00313.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 19
Here's mine, not sure what it is or what kind of projectile
it would be used on - The markings took a beating.

Attachments

• IMG_7.JPG
    IMG_7.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6.JPG
    IMG_6.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8.jpg
    IMG_8.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5.jpg
    IMG_5.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
Here's mine, not sure what it is or what kind of projectile
it would be used on - The markings took a beating.
Awesome Gordon, Now we're cooking. I just love seeing what members have, and anyway, at least in my eyes make for a totally interesting thread....Dano

Hi Dano, here are two more samples of smaller calibre German shrapnell shell heads with the Dopp Z92 still attached.
These were all found near Morte Home some 4 years ago. The one on the left had even some lead balls in it after all these
years in the ground. This is all stuff that comes up during ploughing. I have been visiting this area for over 30 years now
and the grounds keep producing the stuff. Makes you wonder how much scrap metal is still hidden in the soil.

Enjoy the pictures.

DSC01456a.jpgDSC01465a.jpg

Regards, Jan

Hi Jan, I have read that there a battlefield areas of the western front of WW1 that have more than 1 shell per cubic yard of dirt. Considering that at Verdun 1 million shells were fired on opening day the figure could be mind boggling. I have talked to a few other collectors that have visited Verdun in recent years and both said that there are still areas polluted with artifacts. Both had pictures and brought pack a few choice pieces...Dano

Dano,not only the fired shell are still out there. I remember visiting the area some 30 years ago when they just started clearing the forest for the first time. I came across this big pile of neatly stacked 42cm artillery shells that were still in the same position as when they were left (did not take a picture at the time and when I returned to the site the next year they were all gone :( ). In those days the French forestworkers sometimes removed complete patches of forest with treeroots and all. And that brought a lot of stuff onto the surface that had not seen any daylight for years. Rifle parts still revealed their serial number and factory markings, so did bayonets and many of the empty shrapnell shells after being properly cleaned. A lot has to do with the type of soil the material is burried in. In the vicinity of Verdun you can also find fossilized shells and other type of fossils. So you never know what you might find but that makes every trip interesting. Empty handed one day and the next day with several German, French and American rifle cartridges and a couple of BAR magazines.

Regards, Jan

Last edited:
Don't think Verdun can be discussed without mention of the French 75, the shell that Petain used to help turn the tide of the battle. This is a French 75mm fuze/nosecone relic that was excavated at Verdun. My main interest is in German ordnance items but would be remiss without at least mention of the "75"....Dano

Attachments

• dano250.jpg
    dano250.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 13