What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Incendiary B2.2E-Z ?

garys39

Picked up at the weekend, it has no markings on it at all, fits the dimensions and looks of the B2.2E-Z, has anybody seen unmarked versions of this type, also there is no filling plug where the fin attaches ?

Attachments

• B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 78
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 64
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 71
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 59
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 75
  • b2.2e-z.jpg
    b2.2e-z.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 64
I think its an Old reproduction, i have 1 complete and many parts all clearly marked, to be 100% sure would need to have in my hands.

Thankyou for your reply, I've taken some more close up photos, I think it is to well made to be a reproduction but maybe a late war one or a manufactured training aid for our EOD ?
The steel head is made up of 2x pieces and there are components floating in the main body but I'm unable to unscrew this end part.

Attachments

• B7.jpg
    B7.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 37
  • B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 35
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 38
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 34
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 32
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 32
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 32
Here is an eg of what is almost certainly a Home Guard I B for familiarization/training etc. And an eg of an I B fitted with the explosive charge. The other explosive charge accords more closely to Gary's example. All my I B's are marked and have acceptance stamps, just as Millsbomber says, tho' the charge shown on the right has very faint markings. I tend to Gary's view, as the entire item appears to be too well made to be a repro, but I urge him to look again, very closely, to see if anything can be discerned under the paint and surface corrosion etc. Very few, if any, German munitions were completely unmarked, but very late productions did have ink or paint stamps rather than actual impressed detail. Sometimes a paint or ink marking will be found on the fins, but that is because the metal was light gauge and a clumsy worker, probably working under duress as well, could easily distort the metal by a bash with a heavy hammer. Alan1DSCN0814[1].jpg

Thankyou both of you for the photos, it seems impossible to find very much picture wise of the 2 or 2.2.
Alan on your HG training version, it is marked at all, I have one which is stamped "CAR272 EOD INERT", photos attached.

Attachments

• H4.jpg
    H4.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 21
  • H3.jpg
    H3.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 19
  • H2.jpg
    H2.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 20
  • H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 28
  • H.jpg
    H.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 21
Hard items to find. I always seemed to have limited success locating these, but not for lack of trying -

DSC_8612.jpg

Hi Gary,
Absolutely no markings that I can discern, further the "body" is of steel rather a normal I B alloy, there are no holes for fuzing wires etc, and the explosive part is also light steel tube. The fins look correct for a 2.2kg, the top ring is either copper washed or brass, the fins are steel. It has a very small circular nut or bolt head well forward of the point of balance and this turns but does not unscrew. It is threaded with a fine thread, and I suspect that this is to mount it on a board or, possibly on a wire support giving the impression of falling.
Quite a lot of HG inventiveness went into producing familiarization stores, see my previous post on butterfly bombs.
I have a lot of time for the Home Guard, Dad's Army did them few favours, and many were a pretty tough bunch. My own father, a Great War veteran, was in the H G here in Reading, he came out of the Regular Army in 1938, and his last active service was Palestine in 1936, so he was fairly well up to date on the infantry drills of the day.
Alan1.

Afraid not. I got it from a State run ordnance recovery area in Jessenitz-Werk sometime around 2004, digging through one of their scrap piles.

Thankyou both of you for the photos, it seems impossible to find very much picture wise of the 2 or 2.2.
Alan on your HG training version, it is marked at all, I have one which is stamped "CAR272 EOD INERT", photos attached.

These steel versions were made for the 1969 Battle of Britain film for a scene of incendiaries hitting a street that was never used in the film. The clue is 'EOD' - this term was not used until 1950s/60s. There is a thread about them in either this forum or on Facebook. Either way, they appear every so often for sale.

Picked up at the weekend, it has no markings on it at all, fits the dimensions and looks of the B2.2E-Z, has anybody seen unmarked versions of this type, also there is no filling plug where the fin attaches ?
That looks 100% fine/correct.