What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German KZ 28P with British screw thread.

blu97

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Ordnance approved
Hi all another mystery to solve I got here a KZ 28 P with British screw thread, no other markings then the model number and factory code and the year 44.See attached picture.Also pictured is the KZ 28P with German ( on the left) and British screw thread.Recently we found a Brittish 3” shell with what i assume was a KZ28P and recently we acquired a heavily restored British 3,7" with the same fuze without the steel cap on the fuze. Sometimes we find german manufactured 3.7”” shells with British made time fuzes No 199 on it. Can any one confirm that these KZ 28P where made for British shells.

Attachments

• KZ 28P 1.jpg
    KZ 28P 1.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 42
  • KZ 28P 2g.jpg
    KZ 28P 2g.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 39
  • KZ 28P.jpg
    KZ 28P.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 51
  • 3inch KZ 28P.jpg
    3inch KZ 28P.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 3,7 inch.jpg
    3,7 inch.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 3,7 inch az 28P.jpg
    3,7 inch az 28P.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Here a picture of the markings on the driving band of the 3.7" with KZ 28P

Attachments

• 3,7 inchgeleide bamd.jpg
    3,7 inchgeleide bamd.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 40
Who else uses 2" x 14tpi?

We abandoned over 2,400 artillery pieces at Dunkirk and 68,000 tonnes of ammunition. It would appear that at one stage the Germans obviously had more fuzes than 3.7" shells and were then forced to manufacture their own 3.7" shells. It would then appear they ran out of British fuzes and thus modified their own. This would appear to be quiet an easy task as British fuzes are 2" 14 tpi (Whitworth form) this comes out to 50.8 mm. The widest part of the fuze seat on a British shell is 2.410" - 2.392" (ave 60.89 mm). I've measured a No. 117 fuze body and at the seat it's 60.5 mm. German fuzes of this size are 60 mm at the widest and the thread is 50mm x 3, so there should be plenty of metal on the blank to machine the very slightly larger British thread. The only possible problem is the angle of the seat.

I have two explanations of KZ, one is Noze fuze and the other; percussion fuze under a ballistic cap - with KZ 38 being the exception. What is the meaning of KZ on this fuze?

What is the significance of the 'P' suffix, is it an abbreviated 'Pr'?

Anyone have a diagram of the fuze?

TimG

I know the used the 3.7", I found in a german navy publication that in the land role the used the No 106 fuze and in the air role the used the No 199 time fuze. TimG what you say make sense, KZ 28P is a naval fuze,KZ is kopf zunder and P is Presstof