What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Land Mine Parachute Lug

beihan62

Premium Member
bomb lug 021.jpgbomb lug 025.jpgbomb lug 026.jpgbomb lug 022.jpgbomb lug 023.jpgbomb lug 024.jpg
This is part of my small collection,it is I believe a parachute attachment lug from a 1000kg land mine dropped near shrewsbury during ww2,the only marks I can find on it are a small D near the base and a D and a K stamped into the top end of the threaded steel part,the lug looks like it is made of bronze,measurements are 70mm diameter,92mm high,hole is 38mm,nearest I can get thread to is 35mm,there is a small grub screw low down on the shoulder which I assume is a threadlock screw,it weighs just over one and a half kg,it must have been subjected to terrific stress to break a 35mm shaft,
Regards,Don

Thats a very nice item to have in a collection.
Its great to know the history of a piece, thanks for showing

kindest regards Kev

Hi Nismosonic,I was told by the chap (who died a few years ago)who gave me the lug,that the mine exploded over more or less open country nowhere near any target of military importance,hope this helps,
Regards,Don,

there is a really nice example of a complete mine hanging in Imperial war museum, it is searchable online with the lug vissable. nice item