What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German manufactured 40 m/m Bofors.

Bockscar

I picked up a 40 m/m Bofors case the other day from a junk shop in a bit of a hurry and not really knowing what I had bought. I went for it as I had not seen this type of primer in a Bofors case before and it was only when I got it home and put the magnifying glass on it that it became apparent that it was a Polte manufactured example made in 1939. The primer is marked "C12 nA ( Neuer Art) St 15 42. (which I take to be lot 15 1942). The manufacturer code is given as "eap", which by my books reads as "Phoenix Nahmaschinen AG, Baer & Rempel, Bielefeld, Germany.
I have included a picture of the base of the case as well as a picture of the Polte logo to illustrate what is stamped onto the case but is difficult to show by photography.

Attachments

• 320px-Polte_Werke_Logo.JPG
    320px-Polte_Werke_Logo.JPG
    10.9 KB · Views: 42
  • aaaa 005.jpg
    aaaa 005.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 172
The way and position of "39" reminds me of a Dutch made shell case, but normally these cases also have a logo from "Hembrug" factory, "320" plus a "sun-like logo" and "2L/40". I have one in my collection.

I do not know the logo at the 9-o-clock position. Could you make a good picture of the logo?

Hoeksel,

The stamped logo on the case is the same as the logo shown on the first image of the Polte header Armaturen Und Maschinenfabrik.

Bockscar.

Is it possible they used old Beute cases? Or is this way of dating typical for these Polte cases?

Never seen one, cool case no matter if it is Dutch (what triggered me) or not!

I have the following 4 cm Bofors shell cases with German primer:

- Dutch
- Belgium
- Hungary
- Poland
- England
- Canada
- Austria

I would love to find one like shown here!

Unusual Bofors primer?

I picked up a 40 m/m Bofors case the other day from a junk shop in a bit of a hurry and not really knowing what I had bought. I went for it as I had not seen this type of primer in a Bofors case before and it was only when I got it home and put the magnifying glass on it that it became apparent that it was a Polte manufactured example made in 1939. The primer is marked "C12 nA ( Neuer Art) St 15 42. (which I take to be lot 15 1942). The manufacturer code is given as "eap", which by my books reads as "Phoenix Nahmaschinen AG, Baer & Rempel, Bielefeld, Germany.
I have included a picture of the base of the case as well as a picture of the Polte logo to illustrate what is stamped onto the case but is difficult to show by photography.

Hello Bockscar,
This is a Bofors case with a large type of primer which I have never seen before. The case is damaged as at some time in the past it's been used as a table lamp. There are three holes drilled and tapped, apparently for the feet, and two which I assume were for electric wiring?
I would appreciate any information regarding this primer, and looking at yours I wondered if it may be some sort of transit unit as I can see no percussion cap?
Please bear in mind that I have no knowledge of primers, so this is all guesswork!
Best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• Bofors unusual primer 1a.jpg
    Bofors unusual primer 1a.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 94
  • Bofors unusual primer 2a.jpg
    Bofors unusual primer 2a.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Bofors unusual primer 3a.jpg
    Bofors unusual primer 3a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 29
Hello EOD,
Thanks for your i/d. I know the case was made in 1940 something but the last digit is obliterated by a drill hole, but how were you able to identify the primer as made in 1983? Are these large primers common, I've only seen the smaller ones, can you tell me how they work and why the large size?
Sorry to pester you with these questions but I'm very curious.
Best regards,
navyman.

Thank you Hoeksel,
I will make a note to pm you. Will be very grateful for any details.
Very best regards,
navyman.

Hello EOD,
Thanks for your i/d. I know the case was made in 1940 something but the last digit is obliterated by a drill hole, but how were you able to identify the primer as made in 1983? Are these large primers common, I've only seen the smaller ones, can you tell me how they work and why the large size?
Sorry to pester you with these questions but I'm very curious.
Best regards,
navyman.

The number on the primer is the lot number indicating the manufacturer code, the year and the lot. As you can see the 83 is the year there. As for the size I can not tell much.

Bofors primer style!

The Large diameter primer is typical of the Bofors designed primers and the numbering too is most likely of Bofors origen.
Sadly I only have one picture of a copy made in wartime by ECC 1940 case with a number "18" primer presumably made under license.

Attachments

• 40-60 base det.JPG
    40-60 base det.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
Here are the stamps of my 3 Hungarian but German used cases.

I do have 2 questions:

- They all have 2 features I do not understand:
1) What is the stamped round? I also see these on other Beute shell cases.
2) What is the half pin stamp on the edge near the primer?

Attachments

• Hungarian 1.jpg
    Hungarian 1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Hungarian 2.jpg
    Hungarian 2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Hungarian 3.jpg
    Hungarian 3.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 64
Thank you the pics Hoeksel!
The rounds on the cases mean that these reloaded cases.
In my opinion the little pin's function that prevent the primers to the unscrew. Interesting because I never seen same in Hungarian case.

Here another Hungarian headstamp.

Attachments

• unkari-2.jpg
    unkari-2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 56
Indeed form Austria. Nice case, normally I only see the german version of this case with large primer. I did not see this one yet!