What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German name: unknown (help)

bombasz

Tar-filled practice mineshell with an unbalance stick for short range. Pressed and rolled steel body with an steel dummy fuze and an steel unbalance stick. The unbalance stick is bent outward on the top causing the shell to fall into unbalance shortly after leaving the barrel and thereby greatly reducing the range of the shell. Weight of shell: appr. 330 +/- 8 grams. Shell probably of experimental design.

weapon36.jpg

weapon23.jpg

2.) Experimental armour piercing tracer shell, in many ways resembling type E. The outer body is machined to a larger ogive for lower drag. The three notches on the outside of the body make sure the shell stays in line with the barrel. The shell and bottom plug are made of steel, the driving band is made of copper

weapon29.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Bombasz,

The upper round I think, is known as the: "3 cm Minengranate b mit Unwuchtstab".
I don't know the designation for the lower round but I think it might be (an experimental version for) a "3cm Hartkern Panzergranate b".

The latter combination of the MK 108 casing and a (H)Pzgr. is, afaik, not a valid one as the muzzlevelocity of the shot would not have been sufficient to provide it with enough penetrative power to overcome armour. It is assumed 3cm Pzgr (perhaps with exclution of the 3 cm M-Pzgr) were only used with the MK 101/103 casing. But the last word on this matter has not yet been spoken.

greetz,

Menno.

german ammunition

I started to prepare the German material, I would like to use the images here!

I ask everyone a special permit or if there is enough here to please?

John

The pictues and drawings are mine, you can find them on the Me163komet forum and the wk2ammo forum. As long as you do not use the pictures and/or drawings for commercial purposes you can use them.
Regards, DJH

The pictues and drawings are mine, you can find them on the Me163komet forum and the wk2ammo forum. As long as you do not use the pictures and/or drawings for commercial purposes you can use them.
Regards, DJH

thank you, then I think you wrote the email KOMET board.

thank you

just use my own presentations and the like

Experimental Ammo

The bottom shell is optimized for low drag/long range. The use of the lowest possible drag shape leaves insufficient parallel section at the rear to stabilize in the bore. The nubs on the front provide centralization. The long range 155mm of today uses a similar system combined with a base bleed. The base bleed burns a chemical that produces gas that fills in the base airflow hollow thus reducing base drag. This asks a question, is it a tracer (which has a similar effect) or a base bleed. Has it an AP core? I think experimental low drag is probably the correct designation/use as you suggest. I have never seen a small caliber version - thanks for showing this.