What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German naval measuring charge?

Tmine35

Premium Member
Any information about this "bomb"? Made of bakelite. It has been assumed that it could be kind of a measuring charge, dropped over board a ship and exploding when hitting seabed, water depth measured by recording sinking time but no confirmation to this found.

Attachments

• bomb-1.jpg
    bomb-1.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 62
  • bomb-text.jpg
    bomb-text.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 41
By no means sure of this, but might it be a charge designed to blow up magnetic mines (which would have been unapproacheable for any metal vessel / destruction charge) ?
Nowadays charges packed in glassfibre etc. are used.

just a thought,

greetz,

Menno.

The writing reads Attention Live Demolision block , so it looks as though its use is to be towed behind minesweepers , to snag moored mines and to explode them ! the Germans called them sweep obstructors.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has no attachment for towing wire, further it has fins to make it rotate quite rapidly. Therefore I rather think it's dropped overboard. Also the maker "Hydroakustik, Kiel" somehow sounds more like a measuring device. All internal parts are missing but there seems to have been some kind of centrifucal safety device and compartment for charge is just a fingertip size.

Is that hole in the front for the towing cable with the wording demolision block i would dought it was for measuring ! more for blowing something up, i dont think you can read too much into the maker as a lot of companies were engaged in war work Ie Jurgens the watch makers made demolision timers

Last edited by a moderator:
No, there has been a centrifugal safety device. I have seen another one with some remains of internal parts and in this hole there were pieces of metal which centrifugal force from rotation pushed out releasing a striker pin safety.

Here is some info on it.
I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 53
Thanks Mad,
That's it. Slightly different from mine in some details but use is the same.
Tmine35