What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German nomenclature question

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
In the attached image of the cartridge is called a Spgr Patr L'spur shouldn't it be a Spgr Patr L'spur m zerl. due to it having a self-destuct?

It seems all the cartridges leave off the m Zerl from the designation. Any reason for this?

Joe

Attachments

• Cart 2.JPG
    Cart 2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 1000001509.png
    1000001509.png
    146 KB · Views: 27
From the cartridge perspective I think it makes no difference if the shell has the self destruct primer or not. The weight difference is minimal and the operation is identical. Its presence is visually represented on the shell due to the markings. Differentiating at cartridge level and everything that implies (different naming, different labels on crates, etc.) makes no sense to me.
My 2 cents.

Hello,

that's an interesting question. According to the system of German nomenclature, it is completely correct that the designation of the grenade cartridge should end with "m. Zerl.". As far as I have seen, however, all 2cm Madsen cartridges (HE) in German use are equipped with a self-destructing mechanism. This may be why the designation "m. Zerl." was dropped. However, other 2cm ammunition also has the addition "m. Zerl." not in the official designation, although it is present. I do not have any evidence for these considerations. It is just my contribution to the discussion.
With best regards,
URG86-Collector

Attachments

• 2cm_Flak.JPG
    2cm_Flak.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 12