What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German photo ww2.....lots of bombs !!!!

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
I was lucky enough to be given this original photograph yesterday and thought I would share it with you.

Just a few Bombs !!

Can anyone give me a positive I.D. on them...as I am not familiar with the markings/ colour scheme of these ones. (though I would guess they are SC500's ....but I have been known to be wrong!!) There also appear to be smaller bombs in the background.

Hope you like the photo as much as I do.

regards Kev

001 - Copy.jpg

Aye,thats a corker Kev!

Im guessing the same as you but i dont have my Pawlas manual to hand to confirm.

cheers

waff

Cheers Waff,

I would like to get a positive I.D. on them, certainly quite a few in that pile. I wonder what is also in the box's behind the bombs??

regards Kev

Mebbe fuzes in those boxes Kev? I cant zoom in enough to i.d them compared to the boxes i have for types 55.

cheers

waff

Aren't these practice bombs? If so the boxes may have contained the glass smoke ampoules.

250 Kg practice bombs, as EOD says there could have been the bottles in the back ground, now all we has to do is find the range....... Dave

Thanks guys for the I.D. on the bombs.
It also may explain why so many are stacked together, and not in crates or packing boxes.

Sorry Dave, no information on the reverse of the photo giving any clues as to the whereabouts of any range !!!!

regards Kev

A bit late on the thread I know... but def practice bombs.. concrete i think. the moulded line visible on the side is an indent to show as practice. should be "sand coloured" all over with a yellow nose.

[
A bit late on the thread I know... but def practice bombs.. concrete i think. the moulded line visible on the side is an indent to show as practice. should be "sand coloured" all over with a yellow nose.​

/QUOTE]

Cheers Scott,

......and you can never be 'too late' on a thread !!!

not seen many pictures of the practice ones before......(but then again, I haven't really been looking. )

I love the old photos, there is so much to see in them.

Appreciate all the help given

regards Kev

The "moulds" are no identification as practice but they were holding the glass ampoules with the liquid smoke composition.

I think like EOD it where cement bombs for trying...the little brother and the smoking glass ampoules. the glass was taken by the eods

Attachments

• 124_2452.jpg
    124_2452.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 124_2453.jpg
    124_2453.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 55
Thankyou Munfrosch, excellent photos .... incrediable to still see the markings on that concrete 50kg !!

Were the glass ampules cemented into place in the recesses on the body? Anyone know?

kind regards Kev

The cavities with the ampoules inside were covered with wooden covers which got fixed somehow.

Thankyou Munfrosch, excellent photos .... incrediable to still see the markings on that concrete 50kg !!

Were the glass ampules cemented into place in the recesses on the body? Anyone know?

kind regards Kev

no prob the 250kg a friend have to...in his garden ;)

around the ampoules is putty ti fix them

another pic from the markings

Attachments

• 124_2451.jpg
    124_2451.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 40
Iv seen the ampules at fairs and never know what thy were, what a great site this is........ Dave

Be carefull if the ampoules are still filled. The content is reacting violently with oxygen and produces smoke then. I know a guy who got his face burnt by such one when it dropped out of the lifted bomb body (the wooden locator was deteriorated and broke under it's own weight when no supporting soil was below).