What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German SD50 with nose spike

satan18

Hear is my SD50 with penetrating nose spike attached.

Used mainly for the slightly more hardened target to avoid the bombs
deflection.

Fitted with the ELAZ 55 fuse and all FFE

Attachments

• SD50 NOSE SPIKE 001.jpg
    SD50 NOSE SPIKE 001.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 209
  • SD50 NOSE SPIKE 003.jpg
    SD50 NOSE SPIKE 003.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 123
  • SD50 NOSE SPIKE 005.jpg
    SD50 NOSE SPIKE 005.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 114
  • SD50 NOSE SPIKE 006.jpg
    SD50 NOSE SPIKE 006.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 126
  • SD50 NOSE SPIKE 004.jpg
    SD50 NOSE SPIKE 004.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 121
That spike really is in top condition old chap. :) How heavy is it?
Is it from that museum collection we talked about?

best

waff

Oh man! :p

Phil,you have surpassed yourself on this one mate!! What a super set up.

best
waff

Thanks Paul this is the Baby spike as there were bigger versions of Stabo
for the 250 and were they heavy.

This weighs about twenty pounds as it is:neutral:

Best phil

That spike really is in top condition old chap. :) How heavy is it?
Is it from that museum collection we talked about?

best

waff

Hi Bud

It is one of three that i am fortunate to have purchased but am still waiting for the other two to be released:wink:

Best phil

deflection.

STABO's were used as a standoff not penetration...

Yep,agreed with you there Phil as im sure the Stabo had the nose switch attached?

best

waff

Hi Paul

Indeed the Stabo was a completely different beast and had specially adapted bombs which had a larger cylindrical drum in the nose of the bomb.on a 50 kg the cylinder would be m60 x3 x 45 mm long.

Best phil

This is one with the Stabo for the railway,
Photo made at DOVO :wink:

Attachments

• SL380131.jpg
    SL380131.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 143
German SD50 with nose spike

deflection.

Once again excellent work Phil, that is one very nice 50Kg you have there!!

Will you put any stencilling on the body?

regards Kev

Once again excellent work Phil, that is one very nice 50Kg you have there!!

Will you put any stencilling on the body?

regards Kev

Thanks Kev

Now thats the bit i am looking for which is the correct size and font to make up a stencil for fuse identification.

From what ive seen the 55 stencil would have been a fairly curvey type of 5 which has to be correct.

Anyone out there got a good scan of one and that would be magic.

best phil

Thanks Kev

Now thats the bit i am looking for which is the correct size and font to make up a stencil for fuse identification.

From what ive seen the 55 stencil would have been a fairly curvey type of 5 which has to be correct.

Anyone out there got a good scan of one and that would be magic.

best phil

Can't help with the pic you are looking for Phil, but when it comes to stenciling, I found that a good thick piece of polythene was useful. (as used for pond-liners etc).
If you can print the text onto a piece of paper in the font that works, you can then overlay the clear polythene over the text, pin it down well then cut using a sharp modellers knife. If you are careful you can get good sharp letters and end up with a re-usable stencil. Also the polythene moulds itself quite well around the body of whatever you are stenciling!!

Maybe you know better ways than this, but thought it worth a mention. Getting the right font and size is the biggest headache!!

regards Kev

Stabo

Hello everybody,
when I hear you all, I have just a question : what is Dinor ?

Stabo
Hello everybody,
when I hear you all, I have just a question : what is Dinor ?

Will try to help, as I understand it......

Stabo...was used in low level attacks, mainly against roads/railways and was used to stick the bomb into the ground to prevent ricochet. (would also be used in mud and snow??) [steel rod with 'spike' end]

Dinort...was used to produce the 'daisy cutter' effect by allowing the bomb to explode slightly above the surface of the ground. [steel or wood rod with a cup attatched to the end]

.......also Extension rods were used for a similar effect of exploding the bomb above the ground. [has a fuze switch at the end to operate the fuze on impact]

Please feel free to correct me on my description as I find it all a little confusing myself !!!

hoping my facts are correct

regards
Kev

STABO bombs have a threaded lug forged to the nose of the case. Stabo spikes screw on to this threaded lug. The same spike fits SC 50 and SD 70 and is of one-piece construction. The SC 250 and SC 500 Stabo spikes have an additional piece, a pressure plate, which fits between the bomb case and spike to increase the rigidity. The spikes are used in low altitude attacks to prevent ricochet. A 1-cm hole through the spike allows use of a bar to screw spike securely to bomb. Stachebomben, or "Stabo" for short, are used in low altitude attacks to ensure the bomb does not ricochet. The SC 250 and SC 500 are both two fuze pocket bombs and fuzing is usually a time fuze 17 or 57 and an antidisturbance fuze (50). The SC 50 Stabo and SD Stabo are normally fuzed with a (55). Discs fitting on the end of these spikes have been found. It is thought nose switches have been used to give instantaneous action.

A DINORT was an extension rod fitted to the nose of various German free-fall aerial bombs to detonate the bomb just above ground level, thereby maximising the blast effect. The Germans believed that the effect of the bombs used against troops had been reduced because the bombs had penetrated the ground before exploding. If the bombs could be made to explode a little above the ground, then the effect against ground troops would be more dramatic. The solution was to weld 60cm metal rods to the front of the bombs, with an 8cm metal disc on the end of the rod. This contraption became known as "Dinortstabe", (Dinort's rods after the originator of the idea, Oskar Dinort) and would cause the bombs to detonate some 30cm above the ground.

Last edited:
Excellent info lads. Ive learned a lot on this one. :)

cheers

waff
This has been a good thread,so what i have looks to be a Dinort Rod then
as the cup is just 9cm diameter and the whole effort is 60.5 cm long:tinysmile_classes_t
and screws into the nose of the bomb lovely.

Thanks for all info gathered

Best phil

Dinort's stabo !

Okaayyyy
now I understand better!
thanks to all for those explications! Very interesting and useful that everybody speak the same language!

Yoda