What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German Shave stick grenade

I'm always confused about the term 'shaving stick' (literally a piece of shaving soap?).

The item shown by Dave is a SD-0,5kg; a dobiuos early submunition, with it's M10x1-thread later possibly converted to a so called 'makeshift-' or 'paratrooper-grenade' (rather doubtful nomenclature).

There is another version mentioned in Allied sources, showing a completely different piece:

shavingbulletin57_1.jpg shavingbulletin57_2.jpg shavingstick-2.jpg ??? :hmmmm2:

This one has always confused me. The "compressed pellets" in the fuze train bear no resemblance to anything I've ever seen before. Is the main charge a low explosive of some sort?

No, pzgr40/43 your is a DA60 smoke grenade from Cecoslovakia. I think the the truth is on Lex pages, it was a mistake of the Allies, the grenade has been confused with that of the paratroopers and believed to be HE. It is actually a smoke grenade or similar; evidence the fuze without detonator, but with "compressed pellets" to burn the smoke mixture. The colour yellow indicate the smokes colour as the white one in the picture attached.germ FJ Volkshandgranate_01.JPGgerm Rauchkrper_01 Weiss.jpg

Last edited: