What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German wartime flare carts?

waffenamt

I got these on a swap at the weekend from the Leeds show.
Nice little items so i thought i would give them a good home. :)

cheers

waff

Attachments

• S7006901.jpg
    S7006901.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 53
  • S7006902.jpg
    S7006902.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 32
  • S7006903.jpg
    S7006903.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 39
  • S7006904.jpg
    S7006904.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 33
Nice cases...German WWII flare cartridges are cool, just from the sheer numbers of varieties you can find...I will take a shot of the various ones in my collection. I have a few live ones, but mainly empty cases.

One of the things I do to "restore" them, I fill them with sand, make a cardboard disc to close the mouth, the simulate the wax seal. I used to use real wax, but could never find one with the right consistancy, then I hit upon using Elmers white glue...I simply leave some space between the cardboard and top of the case, and flood fill it with white glue, the roll it gently to distribute, and let it dry for a few days. You get a perfect slightly concave seal, then I paint it with the proper color, and voila, a "live" flare....

Thank you for the tip on restores pzjgr! :)

@Mig,im not to sure on the legalities of owning live nowadays? I cant see why not?,as rescue flares are sold no probs? (well the places ive seen them at dont bother!)

best

waff

In France live flares is the only thing you can have without being shooted by the Gendarmerie, in germany they are forbidden if you havent a license for. Strange "United Europe" we live in.

It would be easier to buy live ones....if they were easy to find!

For some reason, at least around my area, German flares tend to be not too common, so you take what you can get, when you can....Are they more common in Europe?

For some reason, at least around my area, German flares tend to be not too common, so you take what you can get, when you can....Are they more common in Europe?

I havnt seen a lot over the last couple of years or so?. I did flog a load on ebay for a pal quite a while back. I just thought these were such nice examples(especially on a swap),i just had to get them!.

A pal of mine on here bought a real sweet set of 18??,in a carry case from the Leeds show. He may post pics on here if i ask him?

best

waff

In Belgium and France are not difficult to find in the shows. I collect them and sellers who know it offer me them when they find something. I know from a good friend and collector of German Flares and related items that in the USA are extremelly expensive items.

ere are a couple pics of some of my German signal cartridges, some are live some "restored"...the brass one is interesting, it is navy marked...

Attachments

• flare1.jpg
    flare1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 34
  • flare2.jpg
    flare2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 40
Hi Waff
I will indeed put some picks up this weekend if i can.
I have given the hole thing a wipe over and it looks nice.
Andy

Last edited:
Hi Waff
hear it is i am really happy with this one cost a bit though. not sure that the strap goes with the rest of it but it looks ok.
the carts are in good nick but the deac prosess has not been done well shame the mettle is very soft so easy to re shape with a long socket etc
any thought you all have about the box is it repro or not? if not i paid too much.
hope you like it
Andy

Attachments

• tall ships 085.jpg
    tall ships 085.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 40
  • tall ships 086.jpg
    tall ships 086.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 34
  • tall ships 081.jpg
    tall ships 081.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 32
  • tall ships 079.jpg
    tall ships 079.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 34
Ey up Andy,
Sweet set up!. I think its sound mate. Mebbe the other boys know more about it than me?,but i like the look of that RZM stamp. Will root out the RZM makers code book(its somewhere in the house!)

cheers

waff