What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 8 cm FLAK case

Strange that it is "officially" 77mm though actually 80mm. If i had a 77mm projectile i'd use your test (-:

The official name of the 8 cm cartridge is "8 cm Granatpatrone mit Doppelznder S/26" (even if the S/29 was mainly used). 77 mm is just an invention of collectors which didn't know better ;-)

OK thanks , Alpini , i shall change my data lists accordingly.
While on the subject................
The 8cm Austro-Czech rounds (M16 , M30) are listed as 76.5mm. They are too small, from my measurements, to be 80mm.
How about the 8cm M5? I have it listed as 77x283R but suspect it may also be 76.5mm. My case is too small to be 80mm also.
Any information on these questions?
Thanks very much (-:

Charley ,

A few possiblilties...
I think a lot ,particularly german guns, are listed as the 'calibre' (grooves) class ,for example 80mm,when the bore(lands) is 77mm (and also the other way round).
I found this on a measured 175mm case that was for a 170mm gun!
Also measuring fired cases, often they have blown out to the chamber size,so might not match the book measurement.

Cheers
Bob

The 8cm Austro-Czech rounds (M16 , M30) are listed as 76.5mm. They are too small, from my measurements, to be 80mm.
How about the 8cm M5? I have it listed as 77x283R but suspect it may also be 76.5mm. My case is too small to be 80mm also.

you are right, the 8 cm M.5 has a real 76,5 mm calibre. The austro-hungarian nomenclature has mostly rounded calibers.

@kahu1: not to forget, that your 17 cm case is for separate loading ammunition. As it was not fixed with the shell, there is no need that is has the exact caliber (the powder bag which was inside such a case is usually much longer than the case itself)

Last edited:
Thanks Alpini and Bob
Yes nomenclature a little inconsistent. e.g. 10cm and 10.5cm German rounds that are actually both 105mm calibre.
This is a great site for learning.....so much knowledge here....
Greetings, Charley