What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 booby trap igniter?

I guess I would like some opinions on the identification of a German WW1 igniter. the igniter in question is on the egg grenade on the far right of the attached thumbnail. I've heard that this igniter (used mostly on Kugels but also m1917 egg grenades) was a no delay, instant igniter that were purposly left by retreating Germans so that the enemy would pick it up and get blown up instantly when the wire was pulled. This is all word of mouth and would like to know if this is true. They are not real rare (they're around) and thats the purpose that I have been led to believe on the use of this igniter. Is that true? It seems to be generally accepted but looking for opinions on its use. thanks in advance...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 107.jpg
    Picture 107.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 107
Nothing but a sales promoting story. It's a "Reibzndschraube" (frcition primer) for firing vintage guns and which accidentally fits on the M1917 eggs.

Cheers

engineer

Here are some photo's of the igniters and drawings i hope this helps.

Attachments

• 100_1356.jpg
    100_1356.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_1317.jpg
    100_1317.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_1318.jpg
    100_1318.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 128
everybody right.

"It appears that all parties in this thread are right to a certain degree. Heres what EJ's ordnance site has to say about the igniter.
"Something worth mentioning is a "fuze" sometimes found assembled to egg and kugel grenades. At a glance it seems a legitimate type and is sometimes described as a "rare" variation. This is incorrect as it appears to be a friction igniter for artillery use, spefically the leicht Minenwerfer (76mm trench mortar). This was used as a BOOBY TRAP device. The Germans would attach these to Kugels and leave them behind when abandoning old positions with the intent that the French would find and use them. The igniter has no delay so they would explode the moment the fuze was pulled."
So it appears that ALL posters in this thread are at the very least "somewhat right". The fact that they were used as booby trap devices lends to the intrigue of this igniter and has carved its place in history. It is so cool when everybody is right. Respectfully, Dano

pudding of proof

Here's the proof that it is a WW1 item as this pic shows one fresh out of the ground on a WW1 battlefield. Go to the French Diggers link
http://humanbonb.free.fr/indexa.html
then click on Les Diggers link and thumb about 1/2 way down on pics and there it is! And the pic has a French caption, could someone provide translation? Dano

German booby trap

Okay guys, here's the pic of the igniter fresh out of WW1 battlefield soil..Dano

Attachments

• Diggers7.jpg
    Diggers7.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 22
If I remember correctly, I saw a pic of a fresh dug out Kugelhandgranate with this type of fuze attached to, but I forgot, where......

Hi Dano. Great thread. I've got a couple of these, one of which I keep in an egg grenade. One is marked LB and the other LJ. Anyone know what the markings mean?

John

Attachments

• SSCN3230.JPG
    SSCN3230.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Thanks John, I dont know the markings but do know the markings are endless. This piece has always intrigued me, and Jens if you could find that picture with this igniter screwed in a kugel fresh out of the ground I would be most obliged as that would be the validation i've been seeking for years.....Dano

Last edited:
It is a friction igniter for the German Mittlerer Wurfmine. Can be used as a booby trap fuse on an Eierhandgranate M1917 as well.