What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 Kugel Grenade Belt Carrier.

ron3350

This item was discussed on 17-4-21 by Dronic69 at auction and was commented on with Google photos. Here is the real item.

I got this grenade 4 years ago and was also surprised to find that a belt carrier, rather than call it a pannier, was used with this grenade.
The alloy fuze seems wrong ( fits the Eierhandgranate rather than the Kugel) but was used in 1915.
I do not want to unclip the rather delicate leather strap as it is showing fatigue marks and may be damaged or break.
I guess that the clip fits the pull-loop on the fuze and ignites when the grenade is yanked from the carrier and ready to throw. Any comments?

I show all views and this item is very scarce in Australia.

Kugel c.jpegKugel b.jpegKugel a.jpegKigel d.jpegKugel e.jpeg

Everything is ok with it. The Zinc alloy fuzes were used also on the Kugelhandgranate.

Last edited:
You are correct about the use of the pull loop being connected to the carrier. There was also a square chest plate the German grenadiers used with a hook on it to pull the igniter from a grenade.

Real carriers are just a scarce here. Though there are some decent repros around. Normally the leather gives them away.

Here's an official German manual about this carrier:

Attachments

• Kugelhandgranaten-Traggestell.jpg
    Kugelhandgranaten-Traggestell.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Alpini for that page from the manual.

For those having trouble with the German, I make the effective translation to English from the literal to be:

[FONT=&amp]"Top Secret. Instructions for using the carrying frame for kugel grenades.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]The frame is used to carry Kugel grenades with the chain attached, the chain acting as a fuze-pull device (a). The frame protects the fuze from damage.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]To throw, loosen the strap (b), tightly grip the Kugel grenade and pull it out downwards.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Frames with worn belt closures are no longer to be re-used, so that the Kugel grenade does not fall out prematurely and ignite. Such frames to be sent to Engineer/Ordnance Park."[/FONT]