What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW2 3.7cm FLAK fuze

Vasco Da Gama

I have had the pictured projectile in my collection for some time but the fuze has always interested me. It is marked 3.7cm Kpfz Zerl P but with the Zerl P crossed out and a Ex added, dated 1936, RhS 167 and 290. The fuze has also had some additions, a circular pin held by a washer, as pictured. I understand that the Zerl P had a powder burning delay that proved unreliable in use and was replaced by Zerl FG using a centrifugal self destruct. Is the fuze pictured some part of that development? Any information would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 27
Hi Vasco,
Yor fuze is a 3,7cm Kpf Z Zerl P (3,7cm Kopfznder Zerleger Pulver) that was later cleaned of all explosive components and used as a "plug" on inert projectile.
This type of fuze was unreliable and difficult to manufacture. It was replaced by the 3,7cm Kpf Z Zerl P v - where v means vereinfacht - simplified.
When the need for HE ammunition for the Pak came, some of the fuzes were modified, the SD function removed, and used for ground targets until AZ39 came in sufficient numbers.
For AA role the fuze was further sipmlified until it became Zerl Z 16. Other designs were used too like the 3,7cm Kpf Z Zerl Fg You mentioned.

Bob