What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WWI patriotic jelly glass

Just ordered a small jelly glass. It is supposed to be German from WWI and is embossed with a 1914-ish German and Austrian soldier, a flag and some sort of oak leafs. The oral history I get on it is that the German soldiers would get these glasses full of jelly, and when the jelly was gone they were used as drinking glasses. Will try to post some good snaps of it when it arrives, but in the mean time I was wondering if any WWI guys out there have heard of these glasses? I am trying to pick up odd non ordnance WWI pieces for my collection to work into my next display. Also my source on this jelly glass has what he says are small pottery Schnapps containers that were dug at Ypres. I am an old bottle collector as well so ANY light that anyone can shed on this for me it will greatly appreciated. I was really surprised on how cheap WWI era British beer/soda bottles can be had, definately workable into any display. Regards...............Dano

Dano . I don't know about the WW1 jars & bottles but the Germans used those standard brown pottery Schnapps bottles for transporting liquid tear gas for field training before WW2 . I used to have an empty one & it had a paper label on it with a skull & crossbones & instructions for use . They'd break the top off & all the troops had to run around trying to get their gas masks on as quickly as possible before they choked ! They were exclusively for outdoor use & must have been terrifying if you were close to one . Mike.

Dano . I don't know about the WW1 jars & bottles but the Germans used those standard brown pottery Schnapps bottles for transporting liquid tear gas for field training before WW2 . I used to have an empty one & it had a paper label on it with a skull & crossbones & instructions for use . They'd break the top off & all the troops had to run around trying to get their gas masks on as quickly as possible before they choked ! They were exclusively for outdoor use & must have been terrifying if you were close to one . Mike.
Thanks for the information Mike as I had no idea on the use of the schnapps bottles for liquid tear gas.....Dano

glass

The jelly glass arrived today and it is cool beyond words. I can't get good pics so a description will have to suffice. it is about 3oz by volume and one side is embossed with pickelhaubed German and Austrian soldiers and "1914" under that. The reverse is embossed with crossed flags, a maltese cross and decked out with oak leafs. It is of clear glass. It is awesome and still would be very interested if anyone has any pertinent information on this piece........Dano

German WW1 patriotic jelly glass

This is a cool little jelly glass I picked up, not much bigger than a shot glass. On front is a German and Austrian soldier with 1914 and on rear is 2 flags and a maltese cross, very ornate piece

new post merged by admin with existing thread on the same topic

Attachments

• dano138.jpg
    dano138.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 20
  • dano139.jpg
    dano139.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator: