What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German ZE1 Ground Mine Sterilizer

Am posting some images of what I was informed is a German ZE1 Ground Mine Sterilizer that I have owned for a few years.

I had originally posted this item as a Pistol in another category and was informed it is actually a device used to neutralize mines.

I am worried it may not be safe....
is it possible it has any sort of detonator or explosive charge in it? Or, is it only a timer?
Would it allowed to be sold?

Body of item, and inner cap, are marked: eov M3721 . Additionally, inner cap is also marked ff in a small circle.
Outer cap is marked on its inside: fon M 99027 , with an additional "M" stamped above, and an unknown mark in a circle below.
Inside, with both caps removed, bakelite (?) "point" is marked: cwh, in a circle.
Large outer rubber ring, or seal, is marked, in stamped ink (very faded): 30 Sep 1944
Approximately 10 inches or 25 centimeters in height, and very heavy.

Hope my description helps in identification ! And, hope the photos are not too big!?

Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Pistol 014.jpgPistol 015.jpgPistol 017.jpgPistol 019.jpgPistol 021.jpgPistol 022.jpgPistol 020.jpgPistol 018.jpgPistol 023.jpgPistol 024.jpgPistol 016.jpg

There is a description of the ZE1 in OP 1673A German Underwater Ordnance-Mines.

I only have a partial copy which does not include that page but the full copy is available on Scribd

"Op 1673a Germanu_u_w_ord_full Copy"

An interesting item that I am sure someone ought to be able to identify, however if you are doubtful about it containing explosive of any nature, please place it somewhere safe away from people and dont handle it until you get a positive ID and proof of what it is.

my initial thoughts are that it is a long delay timer for a German naval Ground mine, of which type I do not know. However this reminds me of the mechanism used in magnetic mines to allow the safe passage of several ships before finally arming the mine to explode. In this case it appears a similar principle could be used to render the mine safe after a period of days/weeks? The base of it suggests that wires were connected to it and perhaps these went to small charges? However I cannot answer your question about wether or not it contains explosive and so treat with extreme caution.

regards Kev