What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gewehrpanzergranate 40

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Finished cutting this ww2 german gewehrpanzergranate 40 today.
please feel free to add further information etc

Attachments

• gewehrpanzergranate 40.JPG
    gewehrpanzergranate 40.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 68
  • gewehr panzergranate  40.JPG
    gewehr panzergranate 40.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
thanks andy ,i just noticed ive not glued the spring bits back into place on the striker,,oh well
also would like to thank ben and jack for help in getting this :beer:

Last edited:
Hi Spotter,
Only just caught up with this thread. Thats quite a change from the item i saw at Beltring, looks really good. I have a little information on these rounds, they were launched by a hollow wooden bulleted blank of 7.92 and or 7.92/13mm,
The action of these rounds is such that on acceleration the arming sleeve sets back, compressing its spring, and is prevented from rebounding by the arms of the retaining spring entering the internal groove near its head. The coiled steel strip is then free to expand so that on graze the pellet passes through the coil and the needle pierces the flash pellet. The flash enters the detonator in the gaine which brings about the detonation of the bursting charge with the assistance of the exploder. The functioning of the fuze, as a result of the strike of the impact cap brings about the detonation at the effective point relative to the surface struck and the hollow in the head of the charge results in the concentrationof the effect of the detonation to obtain perforation. The steel disk under the cap is probably intended to prevent debris from the cap entering the liner.
Perforation performance is given at 50mm, on homogeneous hard armour with a strike at 30 degrees to the normal, making a hole 5/8th" by 3/8th"
This info have been taken from the War office handbook of enemy ammuniton 1944.
Best regards Weasel.

Yep,hats off as thats a cracker.
Way better than the expensive pre-cut one i have. good on ya. :)

waff

top notch section

Another fine section Spotter, beautiful work. I'll be damned, another grenade that I want (it's all good)...Dano

Hello folks,thanks for the compliments,i like this one myself..Weasel your post mentions the wooden bulleted blank,,I have one of these is it possible to tell if this was just a standard wooden bulleted blank or, for the grenade or were they all the same ,i am attatching pics of the one i have cut (unfinished) .
Headstamp what i can read is P131 XIX1 21 40

Attachments

• DSC00083.JPG
    DSC00083.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00084.JPG
    DSC00084.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 30
Hi Spotter,
I have a bit more info about the blank round, it is stated that the 7.92mm is a varnished steel case and that the case is extended in length at the mouth and is coned into a cannelure in the bullet.
Thats about all i can give you hope it helps.
Best regards Weasel.

hello everyone thanks for taking the time to add all the extra info ,
regards allan