What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gloss, semi gloss or flat - what type of paint?

BOUGAINVILLE

Hi all,

Am just about to do some painting of a few Japanese and Aussie items and would like to know what the experts out there would recommend. I would think that Oil based Flat paint would be the most ideal. The problem is though at our local hardware they only sell Gloss and if you are lucky some semi gloss.

I want to get the colours just right.

What would be the best way to tackle this?

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

If you have to use gloss because it is all that is available, see if you can get some cans of "satin", which is a clear plastic coating that you can spray on over the gloss. It protects the gloss paint, and gets rid of the high gloss reflection. It doesn't make it into flat, but it helps.

I dont know whats avalible in australia, but if humbrol model paints are ,they make them in satin and matt finish with hundreds of different colours , maybe the way to go

paint

Hi Bogainville
Do you have any model shops in your area?
As harley says humbrol paints are great but i find they wear off if you don't give them a coat of clear.
Been trying Tamiya model paint in spray cans lately. Goes on nice and dries quick.
You could just use the gloss oil paints from your local store and take the shine off with fine steelwool once the paint has cured hard.
Good luck whatever you use.

All the best
T42

Hi all,

Am just about to do some painting of a few Japanese and Aussie items and would like to know what the experts out there would recommend. I would think that Oil based Flat paint would be the most ideal. The problem is though at our local hardware they only sell Gloss and if you are lucky some semi gloss.

I want to get the colours just right.

What would be the best way to tackle this?

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

Mate,

found this while "googling" through BOCN....

I first used the oil base paints for the colour coding etc, then wacked on a coat or two of Estapol flat - provides a tough flat finish.

Use Letroset for the stenciling

Brass cases - clean as per normal procedures, then use a coat or two of Wattle's INCRALAC.

Cheers
Drew