What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gp 500 lbs

eifel

Ordnance approved
here a picture off a gp 500 lbs with a tail fuse m101A2 found in holland

this ordnance was disposed by the eod

Attachments

• gp550lbs.jpg
    gp550lbs.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 228
  • munitie ecg1lw 038.jpg
    munitie ecg1lw 038.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Excellent pics eifel!
That case looks in good condition saying its been buried all that time.

best

waff

another picture off the gp 500 lbs and one off the tailfuze m101A2

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 435
  • ost M101A2 (1).jpg
    ost M101A2 (1).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 147
The paint job on that bomb looks amazing for being buried for 55 years! The two red bands around the body of the bomb, are the locations of the cardboard rings that were wrapped around to allow the bombs to be moved by being rolled. The bomb lugs were welded to the outside of the casing, and the entire casing was primed with the red primer. The rings were added, and then the OD green was sprayed on.

hello hazard

thank you for the info here i have a picture off the rings

greetings eifel

Attachments

• rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 103
Eifel,

You are welcome. Great photo of the bomb dump. Your photo also shows the cardboard rings that protect the fin retaining nut during shipment.

The 500 L.B. bomb was the one dropped in the highest quantity by the U.S. in WWII.

Last edited:
Not to much into WWII ordnance and 500 lb bombs, so this may sound pretty stupid to all of you that do know.

Was the 500 lb bomb ever fitted with a fuze extender in WWII or Korea so that they could blow closer to the surface? I do know they were used extensively in Attack aircraft and some fighters during the Vietnam War.

GP Bombs like the 500 pounder making contact on the ground is problematic at best. When these bombs hit soft earth and fail to explode, the bomb itself, once it is in the ground, it will tend to start making a curve back towards the surface. This is the path of least resistance. So knowing all of this, I would truely believe that that GP 500 could end back upright in the soil. From what I have been told and shown, this could happen to any bomb back then, but not so much as the modern day Bombs.

That is why the U.S. "Railroad Bomb" mine has a flat nose, so it doesn't deviate from impact point.

Around 1920, the U.S. Navy had Flat Nosed projectiles for guns 3 inch through 6 inch for use against submarines. The idea was that the wadcutter design wouldn't bounce off the water. They didn't remain in inventory for long.

Attachments

• Railroad bombC.jpg
    Railroad bombC.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 99
  • Railroad bomb drawingC.jpg
    Railroad bomb drawingC.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 68
Interesting.I would have never thought an item that big could deflect that much.Learn something new every day.Thanks guys.

The Railroad Bomb uses the tail fins from a Mk 82 500 LB. bomb, and probably weighs around 800 Lbs. It is labeled as and considered an air delivered mine.

The Railroad Bomb uses the tail fins from a Mk 82 500 LB. bomb, and probably weighs around 800 Lbs. It is labeled as and considered an air delivered mine.
Actually sir,thats a sweet looking munition.I think I could see something like that hanging in the garage better that a Mk82.Is there info on the fuze?

Lou,

The fuze is the really hard part to find. I've had the mine for 12 years and still no fuze.

Attachments

• fuze 1 C.jpg
    fuze 1 C.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 77
  • fuze2 C.jpg
    fuze2 C.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 64
Here you go. Yeah, I know John, I'm looking.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 68
Hazord (John)

What is the function of the "Target Count Selector Switch" and how does it operate?

Thanks

TimG

Tim,

I'm not sure if that information is still classified. I haven't personally configured this fuze for operation, but I could venture a guess.

The railroad bomb as it is usually called is an area denial munition. It gets its name from the practice of dropping time fuzed boobytrapped devices in railroad yards etc. so that everyone has to leave the area till it explodes. These mines, and Mark series bombs with "Destructor" or quickstrike hardware and fuzing can be used on land or as shallow water mines. The fuzes are designed to be programmed for a particular target by the magnetic field of the target, acoustic signature, seismic vibrations, etc.

A target counter would count how many trains went by or ships or people, before detonating.

U.S. Subs or some other active EOD folks may be able to offer more info that they can confirm is not classified.