What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gp 500 lbs

Cool tech info. Im dropjawed just by the size of it. Funny how something so big is so hard to find.

John,

Many thanks for the explanation. Don't happen to know its number do you?

Thanks

TimG

Page down through this:

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/asetds/u-b.html

to find:

The BLU-31/B was a 340 kg (750 lb) class anti-vehicle demolition mine and bomb. It was a derivative of the MLU-10/B mine with new acoustic and seismic sensors, tuned to the sound and vibration of tanks. If not triggered, the BLU-31/B self-destructed after 83 hours.
Data for BLU-31/B:
Length: 2.40 m (8.0 ft)
Diameter: 28.6 cm (11.25 in)
Finspan: 38.4 cm (15.1 in)
Weight: 347 kg (766 lb)
Explosive: 107 kg (236 lb) Destex

It uses two fuzes:

FMU 8/B or the
FMU 30/B

Tim,

I'm not sure if that information is still classified. I haven't personally configured this fuze for operation, but I could venture a guess.

The railroad bomb as it is usually called is an area denial munition. It gets its name from the practice of dropping time fuzed boobytrapped devices in railroad yards etc. so that everyone has to leave the area till it explodes. These mines, and Mark series bombs with "Destructor" or quickstrike hardware and fuzing can be used on land or as shallow water mines. The fuzes are designed to be programmed for a particular target by the magnetic field of the target, acoustic signature, seismic vibrations, etc.

A target counter would count how many trains went by or ships or people, before detonating.

U.S. Subs or some other active EOD folks may be able to offer more info that they can confirm is not classified.

Remind me this weekend and I'll see if I have a source document.

It sounds like the new fuzing for BLU 31/B makes it into a roadside tank killer.

Reference the question in post #9, I could not find any reference to a fuze extender in the WWII/Korean War time frame. Does anyone else have any data on this thing?

I did find several more references to the BLU-82 as the "Daisy Cutter" which is what we called the fuze extender, which could be installed on any GP Bomb, but that is at the end of the Viet Nam era. Since the BLU-82, nicknamed "Cheeseburger" survived to the Gulf War, I think the name became attached to the last remaining use of the fuze extender, not the extender itself.

Tabor10,

I thought I saw some in the Pacific Theater via picture of WWII, but now I am having second thoughts.

Like I said before, they were used extensivley on the attack aircraft like the A-1 skyraider, A-37's, F-4's, and A-4's.

By the way, what was the problem encountered for MACVSOG when they landed in the same spot as the Blu-28/B did?

Hint: Take a look at some Blu-28 explosion(s) or their aftermath.

Daisy Cutters

TimG,

You are more than welcome!

As to Daisy Cutters:

The Germans had their Denort rods that stood out from the middle of the nose of their bombs, to get the electric fuzes to function above ground. The U.S. used the fuze extenders to accomplish the same thing. I haven't seen any photos of their use in Korea, but they were big in Nam, especially on the skyraiders as mentioned earlier. The use of fuze extenders to get near surface burst coined the term "Daisy Cutter".

If one thing works good, why not more of the same, so the BLU 82 was tried out for daisy cutting jungle to make helicopter landing pads and fire bases. The BLU 82s were also equipped with fuze extenders to get near surface burst to cut off the trees, and therefore received the name Daisy Cutters. BLU 82s were carried by both Skycrane helicopters and C-130s. For C-130 delivery, the BLU 82 was strapped to a pallet, with the nose facing towards the cockpit. The aircraft would go into a slight nose-up position, and the pallet would be allowed to slide out the back door, with a parachute to pull it out, and orient it nose-down to get the daisycutter fuze extender to point down.

C-130 drops had their excitement during the perfection of the daisy cutter and the plane's relationship to each other. Fuze extenders are 36 inches long, male thread on one end to thread into the bomb, and female threaded for a fuze on the other end, filled with Comp B. They can be combined to make any length desired, within reason.

The first C-130 drops of the BLU 82 had at least 3 extenders (9 feet) installed to give a really good above-ground burst. The problem occurred as the bomb was leaving the plane. As the heavy bomb exited the rear ramp with the plane flying horizontal, the plane lifed due to the reduced load, and the 9 foot long extender assembly slapped the ramp, breaking the extender assembly in the middle and causing a cloud of powdered Comp B to form in the cargo compartment of the plane. This experience led to the method of nose-up orientation of the plane and delayed opening of the parachute.

In more recent times, proximity fuzes have been referred to as modern "Daisy Cutters"

Antbody in the mood for a question previously mentioned about the BLU-28/B or do you all just want the answer?

V40,
check your references on the designation - by my refs the BLU-28/B was a bio submunition, dispensed by the SUU-29 non-linear biological dispenser. I'm pretty sure we didn't use these in VN. I can provide some partial source info if you wish, or a photo of one of mine. I suspect the nomenclature is mixed up?

I think he is talking about the BLU 82, the 15,000 Lb. bomb that they called the "Hamburger bomb" in the first Gulf War.

Last edited:
Hazord, that is probably right, SOG called it "Commando Vault"

When these holes in the jungle were made SOG were the ones who dropped in, usually looking for the enenmy, if not BDA, truck & tank Parks and very high high concentration of enemy troops. Anywhere from 500 to 10,00 NVA Troops. This (SOG) was the most secret group of guys ever to hit the battleground.

Now what would happen when they went out on a mission involving the dropping of Commando Vault to make a landing zone, they were on other choppers to land on the space it created. If you look at the aftermaths of Comando Vault, you will see that the treels were blown away fro the center of the blast. These trees were a super barrier from the NVA attacking right after they hit the ground. It also impeded the SOG team tryin to get over the jungle mess by Command Vault blowing in the very dense jungle. Sometimes the trees where stacked 20-100 feet thick. It would take the SOG team maybe hours to clear the mess and get back into the jungle. A very hazordes situation becuse of the fact that they were so exposed that the enemy could launch rockets and mortars at them from afar. They also went into the target "Sterile" which means if they were ever captured there were other things the NVA, Russian, Chinese and Cuban anti-SOG interrogators would ask first.

Many SOG recon teams had to call back a chopper to take a man or two back to the B.H. Which now gave away to the NVA exactly where you are.

SOG was a strategic reconnaissance outfit, they only worked in the A-Shau valley (Both sides of it, west and east of the valley) which was occupied by so many NVA that it was considered a suicide mission. Laos, Cambodia, Southern provinces of China, North Vietnam. and Thailand. But the majority of SOG reconnaissance teams were located in Laos & Cambodia next to the Ho Chi Mihn Trail.

Another thing was that SOG had one of the largest collection of WWII rifles, sub -guns, machine guns, and shotguns, and grenades; both hand and rifle, pistols, Mortars. etc., etc. Some were silenced some weren't They hadevery model of the M-14 which used as as a "precison rifle" with
the ART II scope mostly. Jeee they even made the first ever built .50 cal, single shot rifle.

Any other questions about SOG and its missions or what they would carry on a mission, just ask. I'll also place a list of books that are "recommended reading. What I'll do with the list I will include my own recommended best to the ones that anywhere from Excellant to Good ratings on how much the book is worth buying or not.

Unbeleivable, wouldn't you say?

Last edited:
Nice Bomb do you have there Eifel! Looks like it is found on one of the Dutch Airfields. Probelbly in the North, i noticed by the Clay-ground.

Keep up the good work!

Regards, Viking:viking:

V40,

I hadn't read much about SOG. All good information. Do you have any photos of an impact with the trees blown down etc., or web sites where they are shown?

7/21/2008 - DUKE FIELD, Fla. (AFPN) -- Duke Field Airmen from the 711th Special Operations Squadron dropped the last operational Bomb Live Unit-82 from an MC-130E Combat Talon I July 15 at the Utah Test and Training Range.

here the Last Drop

Attachments

• 080715-F-9999N-104.jpg
    080715-F-9999N-104.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 080715-F-9999N-102.jpg
    080715-F-9999N-102.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 080715-F-9999N-106.jpg
    080715-F-9999N-106.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 080715-F-9999N-107.jpg