What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gramophone Company 18 Pounder

Falcon

I have an 18 Pounder case made by The Gramophone Company with the "G C" either side of a record and stylus symbol.

Where was this factory located?

The case has an A in a circle stamped on it. What does this mean?

It also appears to have been stamped with the same stamp twice at a slightly different angle. Why is this?

I have an 18 Pounder case made by The Gramophone Company with the "G C" either side of a record and stylus symbol.

Where was this factory located?

The case has an A in a circle stamped on it. What does this mean?

It also appears to have been stamped with the same stamp twice at a slightly different angle. Why is this?

In Hayes. I'm not sure where during WW1 but when I worked for them (EMI) they were in Blyth Road. Blyth Road was named after the head of the National Shell Filling Factory.

The A in a circle is an Annealed mark and there should be a dot nearby. This was part of the refurbishment prior to refilling etc.

Thanks for that. Hayes Middlesex is enough for my records on the case.

You are correct about the A, there is a centre punch mark near it.

There is also a "C" with a separate broad arrow above it, does this indicate that the round was accepted into Canadian Service, or something else?

The primer is also marked with:

No1 ----- 9 -/|\
III -------17
-----M
-----LS

These look to be the original markings.

It is also marked with "B, 11/17, F.2" randomly spaced, does this mean that the primer was repaired once and these are the markings added by the company that did the repairs?