What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great War 75mm. Cutaway

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

As I mentioned in my first post, ordnance is a bit of a sideline with me. Great War materials being my real interest. However, this is one of my favorites!

Don't know if it is a training item or factory used cutaway. Perhaps someone can provide some info regarding this. 75mm. cutaway with some of the original schrapnel in place. Some is still in the original matrix and I have saved about 1/4 cup of the matrix that was loose. The loose balls I've placed in the chamber.

Found at a local gun show about a year ago, it was quite rusty and dusty. Cleaned it up a bit and put it into as seen shape. The first hpoto has a German 88/98 Ersatz bayonet for perspective, but then I realized the photo actually puts it out of perspective. :smile:

I do have a question. Would there have been a cutaway fuze on this?

Thanks for looking I hope you enjoy it!

- Best Regards, Mike

Attachments

• 75mm1.jpg
    75mm1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 75mm2.jpg
    75mm2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
[

Don't know if it is a training item or factory used cutaway. Perhaps someone can provide some info regarding this. 75mm.

- Best Regards, Mike[/quote]

Hello Mike. Great looking shell. Cutaways are the best! Ive been led to believe these items are instructional tools and used in training (got a WW1 picture of a US artillery trooper posing with one that will be uploaded after it's found again). Your shell most likely originaly came with a cutaway fuze on it. Your shell may take the Model 1907 Scoville fuze, if it is a US 75mm shrapnel shell, which it looks like with that driving band, but the extra groove between the driving band and the base may indicate something else. Any markings anywhere on it? Scoville fuzes are relatively common and while you probably cant get one off ebay anymore (no harm in looking though) if you go to enough gun or military shows or shop on-line at the militaria sites you should be able to find one eventualy. A cutaway fuze is going to be alot harder to find however. Ive got a couple of examples of regular Scoville fuzes for sale if you get tired of looking or dont have any luck. The Scoville fuze was used in Commonwealth service as the No85 (as it will be marked) and looks identical but the threading is different . Hope this is some information you can use.
ATB Rob

{The shell pictured is a US manufactured WW1 Russian contract 75mm shrapnel shell. The differences between it and the US shell are very small, it is the case that would keep them from being interchangable.}

Attachments

• cut75.jpg
    cut75.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 81
Don't know if it is a training item or factory used cutaway. Perhaps someone can provide some info regarding this. 75mm.

- Best Regards, Mike[

Hello Mike. Enclosed is a photo of (WW2) of a cutaway shell and fuzes (on the table to the left of the decorated officer) being used in a classroom setting. Note also the chart of the shells on the wall in the background. The other photo is from WW1 and shows a troop posing with a fired 75mm shrapnel shell and a cutaway howitzer shell(105mm?). Is your shell 75mm or 3 inch? It has a taper more radical than the usual US shrapnel shell and has the cavity for the base charge about double the size of the typical shrapnel shell so it might be an anti-aircraft shell, possibly for the 3in gun. Hard to say not seeing it in person but your photo is good enough for speculation. FNG

Attachments

• bocnordschool.jpg
    bocnordschool.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 38
  • ww1usordpic.jpg
    ww1usordpic.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 44
Hi Rob -

Thanks very much for the information and the photos. They are most interesting!

I remeasured it and it is most definitely 75mm. There are two marks on the base that I can make out. Offset from the center is an "M3," and then it goes into the cut portion so there may have been more. In the center is an approx. 13mm. circle with what looks to be a large "S."

Ring any bells?

- Best regards! Mike

Mike you sometimes get markings on the fuze adapter and the driving band as well as on the main body..if your as lucky as i am, these have probably been in the section that was removed
The additonal picture shows an american shrapnel round..

Attachments

• 75mm2.jpg
    75mm2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Americanshrapnel.jpg
    Americanshrapnel.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Hi Rob -

Thanks very much for the information and the photos. They are most interesting!

I remeasured it and it is most definitely 75mm. There are two marks on the base that I can make out. Offset from the center is an "M3," and then it goes into the cut portion so there may have been more. In the center is an approx. 13mm. circle with what looks to be a large "S."

Ring any bells?

- Best regards! Mike

Hmmmm. Fraid not. You want the services of an expert.