What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade cleaning

Yes of course, I remember long ago using this stuff for removing iron-stain (rust) from fossils and mineral specimens. Oxalic acid is the active ingredient in nettle stings.

Tony.

Acid

The oxalic acid is available at most hardware stores here in the US. I used to use muratic acid (same acid that pool cleaners use) but it is much more caustic than oxalic acid. Oxalic acid is also top dog for cleaning glass such as antique bottles and insulators. Soak a stained glass bottle for 24 hrs and the stain just falls away. As with any acid use GOOD rubber gloves, and any solution you save must be stored in a good container with an air tight seal, and recommend to store outside....Dano

German helmet from battlefields.... (washed in oxalic acid)
(photo from Ukraine diggers forum)
:)

Attachments

• helmets 1.jpg
    helmets 1.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 42
  • helmets after 1.jpg
    helmets after 1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 44
  • helmets after 3.jpg
    helmets after 3.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 38
The magazine of machine-gun "DP-27" after electrolysis method cleaning.
;)

Attachments

• IMG_15702.jpg
    IMG_15702.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 35
  • PB280023.jpg
    PB280023.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 33
Your website

notice:
- Washing a model with polymeric brush after every 40 min.
Hello jhonni,
I've just found your website, it's excellent. A huge amount of useful information, very helpful for me as I enjoy restoration.
Hope you had a good Christmas and a happy new year to you.
Best wishes,
navyman.