What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grenade, hand, No 1, Mark III (instruction)

SG500

Premium Member
I got this a couple of months ago, just one of those impulse buys!!

Its a very rough number 1 Mark III instructional grenade.

It was manufactured by the Western Electric Co. Ltd.

The frag ring is wrong for this type but close enough for me:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Dave.

Attachments

• Grenade No 1 MK III Instruction 001.jpg
    Grenade No 1 MK III Instruction 001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Grenade No 1 MK III Instruction 002.jpg
    Grenade No 1 MK III Instruction 002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Grenade No 1 MK III Instruction 003.jpg
    Grenade No 1 MK III Instruction 003.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 65
No 1 Mk III Instructional

... and this is your 'after' picture Dave.

Attachments

• NO1IIIsectioned.jpg
    NO1IIIsectioned.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 67
Looks ok to me Dave, very nice. Ok the frag ring is pitted but it looks of the right type to me having looked at the drawings?
Ile bet its quite a rare item.

Do you plan to restore it? Add the tails etc? I see it does have a hole in the handle where they were once held with a nail.

Nice one.

Andy

Dave,
you could cut the frag ring easy enough. Then it would look great.

Andy

Looks like another project to me Dave!!!!!

Now that would look good and I don't collect grenades!!

very nice by the way...
regards Kev

Looks ok to me Dave, very nice. Ok the frag ring is pitted but it looks of the right type to me having looked at the drawings?
Ile bet its quite a rare item.

Do you plan to restore it? Add the tails etc? I see it does have a hole in the handle where they were once held with a nail.

Nice one.

Andy

Thanks Andy/Kev, if you look closely at the one that Norman has posted the correct instruction version doesn't have the grooves in the frag ring (blimey I sound like I know what I'm on about here, just repeating information that Norman sent me).
I've not decided what I'm going to do with it yet, its a bit on the margin of my collecting. Would be a good project though.
Dave.

Just found the info on this.
Electric made 2000 of these from November 1915 over a
period of ten weeks.
So in the big picture where millions of mills grenades these do seem to be quite rare.
Dave.

You are right Dave, the grooves are missing but i reccon it wouldnt be too hard to source someone who could make one up for you or perhaps you could have a go at filling it with liquid metal and making it look like new.
I think its a particularly rare gren, a fantastic restoration project and well worth it ime sure, and envious.

Andy

Just found the info on this.
Electric made 2000 of these from November 1915 over a
period of ten weeks.
So in the big picture where millions of mills grenades these do seem to be quite rare.
Dave.

Dave,

Sorry I didn't get to answer your question last night but yes, 2000 for this particular grenade contract (although we "dont know what we dont know" - WE might have made more against a different contract). In any event a nice bit if history worthy of restoration.

The fragmentation collar should be of the two piece type to copy the WE construction although, for the Mk III service grenade, either the one-piece or the two-piece collar could be used.